Considering purchasing New 350

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

J Collins

We recently saw a new 350 Catalina and were very impressed with its space! We're interested in hearing from other new 350 owners. Do you like the boat? Any problems? How does it sail? Also, when dealing with the dealers, do they ever discount it (like a car dealer does?) Thanks for any advice, J. Collins

C

C-Mike

Discounting?

C-Mike -86 Good question on the discounting. From what I can tell all dealers start at list and work down. Good luck to you getting them down on a hot selling boat! Keep your eye on the ball. The true cost associated with the final product is what you eventually want from your dealer. Freight, commissioning and bottom painting are a large added expense. Commissioning and bottom painting alone could be 6-8K. Add the FL to TX freight and you can say an extra 4-5K. From my brief experience this is the only place that a dealer has to really sharpen the pencil. A sad fact but true! The reason that Catalina products hold resale value is not the wonderful quality but the strong efforts of the factory and dealers keeping the price high and not discounting. Hard to swallow up front but will work in your favor later. Funny, no one ever talks about what they paid for the boat. I do wonder why? The boat is great! Get on board now or you will no doubt regret it.

J

Jack

Multiple quotes

Get quotes from more than one dealer. We found a substantial difference. Make sure that they quote exactly the same thing. Then quiz them on how much commissioning you can do yourself. Also, if you can buy and install equipment yourself, you may save some cost. All these things may be hard to accomplish if they are selling all that they can get. We were dealing on a 36 MK II. By the way, we would buy it again even in the presence of the 350 as it suites our use better.

M

Mark Koehler

Verify your choice of dealers

We found that there is a world of difference in the level of service you get from dealers. For example if you have a local dealer and dealer that is 100 sailing miles away. The remote dealer may offer you a better up front cost but if you have any warranty issues or minor rework issues, but getting to that dealer is a pain. And if you did not by from the local dealer they may not be motivated to fix your issue first. Also check out the experiences of other buyers. The dealer should have no qualms about providing references. The after purchase experience is just as important as the friendly hand shake on delivery. If you do not get good after sales support you will never be completely happy. Getting a discount is good but have a good dealer is also important. Make sure they have a good working relationship with the factory. Something I learned after buying my 350, fortunately I got luck with our dealer. Mark

A

Andy

Catalina 350 Great Boat.. .Great Dealer network

Hi.. We have number 3.. Bought the boat before #1 ever sailed. Since, we have accumulated a lot of time on the boat and would be more than happy to discuss particular questions you may have. We have already commissioned and been out this year! I sold both new and used boats for some time and now equip boats with gear and electronics and operate a brokerage service for both new and used yachts. There is somewhat of a margin that can indeed be negotiated regarding the selling price of the boat. As a boat seller, you want the customer to be happy and make the purchasing process as enjoyable as possible by providing personalized attention through each phase of the buying and decision making process. As a boat buyer, you indeed do want your dealer to make a reasonable profit as you will want an open door for quick service and maybe operating tips and lessons from your dealer after the sale. Establish a relationship with your dealer/broker. Make sure there is a good fit, you feel comfortable and personalities do not clash. Outfit your boat on the aftermarket. Catallina offers generous option packages. Get what comes with the boat and maybe have the auto pilot installed at the factory. Outside of that, you will save thousands (yes thousands!) by buying your gear while waiting for delivery of your boat. (a little plug for myself.. I offer amazing discounts on marine electronics to fellow 350 owners!!) Speaking of which, we are at this time organizing a 350 owners association. There is a chat list at www.sailnet.com and I will be running www.catalina350.com soon (I am way behind on this sorry ...Been busy making a living!) Questions and so forth? E-mail me at akimbel@p3.net

J

Joe Barrett

Hey Andy, tell us how she Sails! I'm dying to hear as I own a C320 which I consider to be a Performer compared to some of Catalina's larger Yachts. I just raced agianst a C420 with in mast mainsail furling and beat him boat for boat in all 3 races. I figure that the C350 probably performs way better than that.

C

Chris Hyland

320 beats C42?

Joe, If your 320 beat a C42 it's bad sailing on the 42's part not the boat... With good sailors on board the 320 will not beat a C42... It's a waterline lenght thing.... I'm speaking of point to point racing not PHRF racing. PHRF ratings are used to equalize boats. I have a C36 which walks by 320s all day long.. C42's walk by me.. Don't get me wrong I love the 320 it's a sweet boat. We actually went to the dealer to buy one and walked out with a C36 because it was going to take 4 to 5 months to get the 320 we wanted. Regards, Chris

F

Frank Mott

C350 purchase experience

We recently purchased the C350 (hull #34) at Sea Lake Yacht Sales in Kemah, TX. We keep our boat at the Boardwalk Marina there. I can say that we feel like we got a really good deal from the dealer, including a number of factory options. The boat was in the boat show, so we were offered a discount deal for that as well. Plus, the interest rates now are too good to pass up. By keeping it in Kemah, we have had quick access to the dealer regarding some warranty items that have come up (nothing major, just pesky and I'm sure they would have been more significant if we were farther away). Since you live in Kemah, too; you might find this to be an advantage. As for the boat, it handles great, and the room is truly enjoyable for our family of 3. We just spent spring break on the boat (about 6 days) and still liked each other when we left. (That would have been difficult on our previous boat-a Hunter 310). I can definitely recommend the boat and the local Kemah dealer. Feel free to email me if you have additional questions or want to get specifics on our dealer, etc. Bottom line: get this boat if you can. And Andy: hurry up with the C350 association. Frank Mott, Kemah, TX

J

Jack

C-350 email list on Sailnet

Hi folks, Just a little plug for the C-350 email list over on Sailnet. Not sure how many C-350 owners are on it yet, but if you join, that will be one more. It's another resource for sharing information as regards the Catalina 350. Thanks, Jack s/v Friendship C-350, #80

A

Andy

By request 350 review...

I wrote his on sailnet last year.. so I did a quick copy /paste/ minor edit and here ya' go... ( I am almost ready to launch www.Catalina350.com for our use. As this is self funded, I am waiting for a % of "underwriting" from my company which should happen soon. -AK- ------------------------------------------- We have completed several trips up to a week in length on the new Catalina 350. This boat is just fantastic in so many respects. On one "voyage", we had two 8+ hour legs in blazing heat with two kids that found things to do below. They rarely came up to the cockpit. There is just so much space and accommodation. The 5000+ Auto Pilot, RL70CRC+ Radar chatplotter, Maxwell Windlass, electric head, and the Dutchman Flanking system all performed flawless. The Catalina 350 is a very well thought out and well designed performance cruising boat. 731 feet of sail area provide for a powerful, responsive boat that is a lot of fun to operate on all points of sail. I have to date over 100 hours under sail on the 350 and have raced her, doing very well and placing ahead of more "dedicated" racing type boats.(placing high with stupid mistakes by yours truly too). I have sailed the boat on very uncomfortable hot humid days with light wind and magnificent days with winds in excess of 25 knots with everything flying full. How best to describe the later experience, ... Let's see... Fun, safe responsive, stable... rail about touching the water. We’ll stop there for now. We sail quite often with 4 adults and 4 kids even once while racing. There is plenty of very comfortable living for all at the dock or underway. The spacious cockpit provides ample accommodation for all so you don't have to scatter folks around the deck or below when it starts to "kick" and you need more room to manage sailing operations. The boat points very well. I used to race years ago. For the new boat, I was more interested in family adventure and getting from point A to B in good time. The 350 surpassed my expectations. We pass by so many boats (that is not so important to me now), and draw admirable attention. It "feels" good. The boat is a is joy to sail. I was never really a Catalina person. I owned and loved the Lapworth designed Cal. I sold C&C, J/boat Cape Dory Morgan and yes Catalina. I was about to put a deposit on the Beneteau 361 before I saw the Catalina 350 #1. When I did my first walk around, I scratched my head and said to myself.. "This thing can't sail. She is soo darn fat!" But when I got inside and "pictured" life aboard in the real world...... Quiet, romantic and soul searching times, and also times with all the kids, games... noise and so forth, the Catalina 350 did it for me. I was told that it was a 12% enlarged 320 whch has a great reputation as a fun spirited sailing machine. (Note: Why do I now feel like I am writing a sales brochure?) (anyway) Then, I got my first sail on our new 350. All I could say were things like: "How the heck did they do it?" and "This is amazing". I still can't believe it points as well as it does, even with the wing keel. I could spend long periods of time on the Catalina 350 without ever thinking twice. All systems are easily managed, work perfectly and just make the whole experience of boat ownership that much more enjoyable. I bought a couple of ceramic heaters so we continued to go down and sail through early December. We are in the "mid-Atlantic" region. It is so cozy having the cabin right around 72 with an outside airtemp of 40 and below. One sailing experience on the 350: (Ships log: Star Date sunmmer 2002)hmmm.....with steady 11 knot wind with peak gusts at 24 knots with the boat on a broad reach and a 135 Genoa and full main, the boat is quick and sensitive. To windward she gets up on her side real quick and remains very responsive. Single Point reefing and all lines leading to the cockpit make her easy to single-hand. The full complement of RayMarine RL 70CRC+ RadarChartplotter, ST 5000+ auto pilot, ST60 wind speed and depth all work like a charm. I am still not sure if the boat was designed as a racer/cruiser or just a fun sailing cruiser but whatever you want to call it, it is just great. Sailing and boat ownership should always be this enjoyable. ---------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.