Considering purchase of Capri 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mitchel Cline

I currently own a Capri 14.2, and it has been a wonderful day sailer, however I am now ready to move to a larger craft. I am considering the Capri 18 for several reasons. Trailerable, more stablilty in heavier wind, and obviously more room. I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with the 18, good or bad. Please reply to me at mitchel.cline@central.sun.com, and to all that reply, thank you for your time and response.

B

Bryan Sperling

18, THEN WHAT?

Not that I am discouraging you from buying an 18, but I own a Capri 22. I looked at the 18 and found that there really isn't that much room. The cockpit is short, the cabin is short and I needed and wanted more room in case I had at least two more adults on board with my wife and I. I like to race and the Capri 22 is better equiped to race than its cousin the Catalina 22. The reason I like the Capri 22 better is that the cockpit is very long for this size boat. The first time out on her we had 6 adults total on the boat, with the ability to still move around. The Catalina 22 with its swing keel is really a nice trailerable boat. I can't say from experiece that my Capri is easy or hard to launch or trailer. I look at it this way. Like motorcycles, you have a 125, you want to move up to a larger bike and consider the next size (a 250). How long will it be before you want to move up to a 500? If it is more room and trailerability you want. Why not move right on up to the largest size boat that can be trailered easily. ie. a 22 or even some 25's. I think you will be pleased in moving right up the extra 4' now instead of going to the 18, especially if you plan on sailing with more than two or three other people. Opinions are like armpits, everybody has them but some smell better than others. Good luck!

E

Erik

Capri 18

I think I'll keep my Capri 18 for a long time. I'm a minimalist, though, and just moved up from a 14 ft Dolphin Sr. boardboat. Bought the boat used ('93 model) last summer. Got a lot of stuff for a good price. Never seen saltwater, too. The 18's cabin is fine for me. I'm the kind of person who will adapt to something, rather than change the something. A Cap 22 would be nice, but it won't fit in my storage spot. The 18 has a good sized cockpit for it's OAL. The 22 is heavier, and I like a light boat/trailer combo. If you slip your boat, it doesn't really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.