Considering Buying a 1987 Morgan 43 Center Cockpit

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Renee DeMar

Hi Everyone, We are close to doing a sea trial on a 1987 Morgan 43 Center Cockpit. Does anyone have anything they would share as to what to keep an eye out for in the sea trials and/or the survey. Our near future sailing goals would be to cruise Mexico and the San Juans and then perhaps farther. I appreciate any feedback you have. Thanks ~renee

M

Malaine

1988 Morgan 44 cc

Hi, Renee. We have owned our 1988 Morgan 44cc "Poetry" for just over a year now and couldn't be more pleased with it. We had a thorough survey and made some repairs to the shaft/coupling. These were negotiated back in to the asking price, and I don't think is anything to expect from all of the Morgans of this vintage. If anything, we think the 80's MOrgans are much nicer inside and sturdier than the Catalina Morgans being built now.We have sailed her as far as Ensenada, the islands off the coast and back up to San Diego with plans to do more cruising in the future. She's a great liveaboard, and a surprisingly good sailing boat for being a big heavy boat. We raced her from Dana Point in the San Clemente Race. Took a DNF as the wind completely died and there was a strong outgoing tide, but had a great time. Please feel free to contact us again. We seem to be few and far between on the west coast. Enjoy the sea trial!

E

Earl Hopkins

Morgan 43

Renee We have owned Dos Brisas our Morgan 43, 1986 model for 5 years, I bought it from a friend who owned it for 5 years. we have lived aboard ever since buying her and we love the boat. We sailed under the Golden Gate and turned left and have been sailing Mexico and the Sea of Cortez for 3 1/2 years now. I had a Catalina 36 before and the size and weight of the Morgan makes her much more comfortable to live aboard. She sails well and we have been through several hurricanes down here and one severe chubascos which knocked us down and broke the boom and tore the loose but the boat took the abuse very well and we never felt in danger for our safety. We are buying a house in Arizona and will become part time cruisers, deviding our time between Mexico and Arizona. Hope you get to buy a boat and go cruising just do it while you can. Earl Dos Brisas Morgan #50 Sea of Cortez Mx

M

Margo

Owner of Morgan 43

I have owned and lived aboard my Morgan 43 for 3 years now. We are based in the Caribbean and did lots of owner crewed charters aboard. Everyone loves her. After 2 summers in Venez. I finally addressed the only problem of note: Rebuilt a lovely, and functionally correct lazarette hatch. As supplied by the designer, the hatch just loved to admit water below while sailing. No more, thanks to the new one. As to the rest of the boat, no regrets at all. She is fast, safe, weatherly and fun to sail, and a roomy liveaboard with a very comfortable motion in a seaway. Good luck with your new boat. M

Status
Not open for further replies.