Considering an symmetrical spinnaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

IgorC

Apr 12, 2008
Hunter 29.5 -
I have been sailing my Hunter 29.5 for over 4 years now. I mostly like to sail in winds over 10kt as boat really starts to move. Anything below 10kt I find very relaxing but a bit boring. I do not race I just day sail and spend 2-3 weeks cruising in summer.

I am considering buying an asymmetrical spinnaker. I hope it will make sailing in light air more fun. Since I never had spinnaker before… I have a few questions to people who have spinnaker in their inventory.

• How often do you use them? I don’t want to invest in a sail that I will use once or twice per year. If I only use it once or twice a year I think I will be better off investing in new main or jib that I will use on every sail.
  • Are two people enough to handle asymmetrical spinnaker? My crew is usually my wife and I. I hope two people are enough to set up spinnaker.
  • Can you use it only on the runs or it can be use on the reach as well?
  • Do you really find that spinnaker make significant difference in light air performance?
  • Did somebody ordered spinnaker from this site and what was the experience?

All feedback is greatly appreciated!

Igor

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
How often do you use them?

-I use my spinnaker every time I am doing a decently long downwind leg (more than 2-3 miles), how often that is depends on the wind conditions.

Are two people enough to handle asymmetrical spinnaker?

-I manage my symetrical just fine with just me and someone at the helm (asym's are even easieir, no pole), but the larger the boat the more people are required. You can probably manage an asym on your boat just fine.

Can you use it only on the runs or it can be use on the reach as well?

-Asym's are actually better on a reach than a DDW run.

Do you really find that spinnaker make significant difference in light air performance?

-Yes. I have a 220% drifter that is similar to a code zero asym that I use for "upwind" sailing and reaching in light air, and it's amazing how well it does, as long as you don't need to point (60 deg off the wind is pinching for that sail)...

Did somebody ordered spinnaker from this site and what was the experience?

-Can't help you there...

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 31_83-87 San Francisco
Four Points covered it pretty well. I would add that I handle the asym on my H31 solo (well, me and the autopilot) so it is certainly mangeable for 2. I would definitely get a sock as well. Makes set up and take down pretty easy, especially if you leave it up too long!

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
I would definitely get a sock as well. Makes set up and take down pretty easy, especially if you leave it up too long!
+1
forgot to mention that I now have a sock for my spin... I managed with me and a helmsman (no auto pilot, yet) before getting it, but it was tough. The sock is a huge help, espicially as you can rig and have the sail hoisted a few minutes before you need it, then when you are ready, you just pull up the sock and it's deployed, super easy!

Oct 22, 2005
Hunter 44DS Redondo Beach, CA
My wife and I handle our asym on our 44' hunter by ourselves with no problems. I find the auto pilot remote very useful. I'll be up on the bow, my wife raising the spinnaker halyard, when its up, she'll go to the sheet and sheet it in as I raise the sock.

Dousing it is just the same thing in reverse.

Jul 10, 2004
Beneteau 38 (2016) Northwest Marine Yacht Club
I have a 29.5 with an Asail

Igor,
I have a '94 29.5 with a A-sail. I also have a sock.

Easy to rig... Slide the anchor pin though a becket on a block, then run the tack line though the block. I have run my tack line on the opposite side as the jib furling line. Back to a cleat attached to the stanchion in the rear.

Add the two sheet blocks to the rear station brackets, add a spin halyard.

The boat is fun, however it does not run deep. You will be 120 to 130 off the wind.

Bruce

May 27, 2009
Hunter 27 cold lake
I have an Asym. with a sock and have used it solo in light winds but two people is preferred and can be handled with ease. I love this sail in light winds on anything down wind of a beam reach. A dead run is hard to achieve unless you go wing on wing.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
The only problem with dead down wind (DDW) is it's the slowest point of sail. Gybing off at varying angles achieves a much better VMG down wind in all but winds over 30+ knots and most skippers will not want to fly their spinnaker in that kind of wind.

Bob D

Nov 11, 2008
Hunter 27_89-94 Lewisporte
I bought my Asym Spinnaker from this site and it worked out perfectly. I have a few pics in the "Hunter 27 89-94" gallery. It does work better on a broad reach but I have sailed DDW "wing on wing" in really light air effectively. I have a sock but find the sail is easier to handle without it. I have the tack led back to the cockpit and can release it and haul the sail in under the boom and stuff it in the companionway if the wind pipes up. I find it better that trying to pull down the sock from the mast or foredeck.

Jun 13, 2010
Hunter 1994 Hunter 35.5 Legend walker, mn
I'm curious if anyones tried this with an asymmetrical spinnaker....instead of flying it like it's designed to, release the bow connecting point and add a line and reconnect somewhere along the toerail so you can sail more of a direct line downwind instead of falling off then having to jibe over...

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Interesting concept Shavdog but if you did have to jibe over it seems it would encumber trying to get the sail over to the other side of the boat.

BTW we fly ours about 6 times a season and I enjoy it more with this boat than with our 33. Nothing else to add that has not already been said!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter - Lighthouse Point, Fl
Jun 13, 2010
Hunter 1994 Hunter 35.5 Legend walker, mn
I guess what I mean is trying to fly an asymetrical like a symetrical ...will it stay in place and be effective....so you can go directly down wind instead of falling off...I plan on trying this next spring but was curious if anyone does this..thanks

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter - Lighthouse Point, Fl
Sail number 967 in the link, A-kite flown from pole. It wont work without the pole.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Is this what you mean?

I guess what I mean is trying to fly an asymetrical like a symetrical ...will it stay in place and be effective....so you can go directly down wind instead of falling off...I plan on trying this next spring but was curious if anyone does this..thanks
Shavdog, we have sailed nearly DDW in very light wind and but I had to use my boat hook to hold the sail out. See picture below. It did work and we did it for 3-4 hours.

Attachments

Jul 10, 2004
Beneteau 38 (2016) Northwest Marine Yacht Club
Re: Is this what you mean?

Asym's do not go dead down wind. It is dangerous. They fly best between 90 and 150 off the wind. 120 is the sweet spot. The issue with Hunters and Asym's is simple; the B&R rig is meant to run hot angles. The hulls are designed to go DDW. The result is that you feel fast, however VMG is poor. If your goal is to look good and feel fast put up the Asymmetric. If your goal is to get down wind fast, go wing on wing with main and jib.

Status
Not open for further replies.