Connecticut yards..... bottom job

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Good morning.... So I am in need to have my bottom (boat) completely redone which includes stripping and re fairing my keel (iron). For whatever reason, the paint that my yard has been using is not properly adhering. When I bought the boat, it had Micron on... I then switched to Petit Hydocoat. First year (I painted was fine), however since my yard has been painting it was not fully adhered. 3 seasons ago I sanded the entire bottom taking off all loose paint and thought that would be the trick..... nope still no good. Rather than just continue to paint and loose every bit I figure maybe its time to just have it fully brought down and have a new barrier coat put on. There are services here to blast, however the barrier coat and especially the stripping / redo of the keel needs to be done by a yard that is set up for this..... I don't want to do this again and don't have the full confidence in my yard. Long Island does not have the greatest yards unless maybe Huntington (Willis) and figure it may be better to head to Ct, where there are several. Safe Harbor Pilots Point is where I bought my boat and they are quite capable, however was wondering if anyone knows of a quality yard maybe in the Bridgeport area.... closer to me in Mount Sinai.

Thanks
Greg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
When I wanted something done right I would take my boat from the North Fork to Mystic Shipyard.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Pilot's Point is Pricey. If you're going that far into CT, Essex Boat Works or Old Lyme Marina might be other options.Closer to Bridgeport, Norwalk Cove Marina seems to be capable of some heavy-duty work. Worth calling. Milford Boatworks would also be good. Bridgeport Boat Works (right across from the Port Jeff Ferry dock, btw) may also be a good candidate. When I was there last week their main bay (90' high?) was empty - they'd be able to do it inside with the mast up. Roxburgh Marine at Captain's Cove in Black Rock (Bridgeport) is also worth giving a call, though they may be booked up.

Last edited:

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Pilot's Point is Pricey. If you're going that far into CT, Essex Boat Works or Old Lyme Marina might be other options.Closer to Bridgeport, Norwalk Cove Marina seems to be capable of some heavy-duty work. Worth calling. Milford Boatworks would also be good. Bridgeport Boat Works (right across from the Port Jeff Ferry dock, btw) may also be a good candidate. When I was there last week their main bay (90' high?) was empty - they'd be able to do it inside with the mast up. Roxburgh Marine at Captain's Cove in Black Rock (Bridgeport) is also worth giving a call, though they may be booked up.
I would love to stay near Bridgeport.... that way I can leave the boat and walk to the ferry to get home.

Thanks!

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
I would love to stay near Bridgeport.... that way I can leave the boat and walk to the ferry to get home.
Thanks!
Bridgeport is the largest city in CT. The ferry terminal would be a L O N G walk from Captain's Cove (3.6 miles). Not through the best sections of town, either. Bridgeport Boat Works would be closer (1.5 miles) but quite industrial and deserted. Use UBER.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Looks like Bidgeport Boat Works is where I am going to focus...... Looks like an extremely capable yard.

Again Thanks for the input!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It would be interesting to see a full description of the process they will use to prep, fair and paint. I'd be curious how it lines up with SBO members' experiences doing the job. I for one didn't get good results cleaning my cast iron keel and painting it. I blame myself though. I don't have access to a sandblaster.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Looks like Bidgeport Boat Works is where I am going to focus...... Looks like an extremely capable yard.
Again Thanks for the input!
Earlier this year I went there to drop off my liferaft. They had a commuter ferry from NYC inside then. Three or four 400 hp diesel outboards on it... Be sure to watch your wallet! North Sails is about 100 yards behind them, and Black Rock Boatworks (riggers & equipment) is upstairs in the main building.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Feels like it might be Christmas in the spring. I actually just got a sail quote from North at that location and also need a rigger.......