Connecticut River

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris

Looking for suggestions on anchorages or moorings along the Connecticut River,in or near Essex. We"ll be sailing a Hunter 340.Thanks.

P

Paul Akers

In Essex

In Essex, there's Brewer's Dauntless marina. Right in the heart of town and 5 minute walk from the Griswold Inn. Also, Essex Island marina next door - also a short walk with a complimentary shuttle across the channel. There are moorings available at the Chandlery at Essex with launch service available. A half mile past Essex to stbd is Hamburg Cove. Grab a mooring, but give it to the owner if he show's up. Limited anchoring, but a beautiful place. A short dinghy ride to Essex, but watch the river at night - bring a light.

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Hamburg Cove.

Just this spring the kids and I drove up to Essex which was the first time I had been there since August 1974. We'd moored off the Corinthian docks and then sailed into Hamburg Cove (which I still have not seen in 27 years). The channel going in was unforgettably dizzying-- about 16 ft wide (no exaggeration) and 9 ft deep. Within 25 ft of the boat gulls were standing knee-deep in the water. We had 6 ft draught under the C

D

dave

conn river

i grew up sailing there out of pettipaug yachet club. there is great sailing from gillette castle to hamburg cove (sorry to hear about druggies) to essex to old lyme out to long island sound or head east and cruise new london watch hill and block island. you'll have great sightseeing and anchjorgaes everywhere.enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.