Compression post on Hunter 37.5 Legend

Apr 12, 2005
Hunter 37.5 Legend Catawba Island, Ohio
My compression post is full of water. The mast comes off on Thursday, January 11, 2024. Not sure if anyone has ever had this problem.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Don't know about the 37.5, but it's a problem that is recurrent on many of the 34s and 31. Attached is my solution to it. It has been over 15 years since I did it and while it is probably over-engineered, it has held without any issues in the more than 20,000 miles I have sailed since. Good luck

Attachments

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Thanks Kappy, I do not know what the problem is. I just deleted and reloaded. Should be there. It's a pdf attachment and it opens up correctly when I load it. Also attched it here.

Attachments

Apr 23, 2007
- - Chicago
I have a 37.5. I had that issue. I sealed all the wiring going through hull with silicone and put a quick disconnect between mast and deck. I used a waterproof trailer connector. I used to remove my mast yearly so disconnect made things easy.

Apr 24, 2013
Hunter 30 Trois-Rivieres
I had the same water infiltration problem in mast post on my 1994 Hunter 30T due to poor quality installation by the previous owner.
I installed a Blue Sea Systems 1.4'' waterproof cable clam, P/N: 1003 as well as CONXALL waterproof connectors 3182-2PG-3DC, 5182-2PG-3DC (2 pins for lights) and 6282-5PG-3DC, 8282-5PG-3DC (5 pins for Wind indicator) buy directly from Digi Key.
One consequences of this long lasting water infiltration was roof sagging by approximately 1/4" near the mast. This water rotted the original wood block that transfer the load to the hull, but that was another story to correct that.

Attachments

Apr 12, 2005
Update on the compression post: Mast is down and compression post delivered to a machine shop. So far, they have not been successful dislodging the counterweight inside the compression post. I purchased a large can of Corrosion X and suggested discharging the can inside the post, wait a couple of days and then try heating and giving the counterweight a good wack. I would like to remove the counterweight, sandblast everything and then powder coat. To solve the water problem, cut another weep channel to the forward portion of the deck collar, install a 1.4 inch gooseneck vent for the wires to run through. The gooseneck vent will seal the hole in the deck for the wires and shed the water running down the wires, forcing it out the weep channels. I think the gooseneck will have to be cut to fit around the hardware at the base of the mast. Worst case is I will have to have a gooseneck vent fabricated to make it a little taller to fit around the blocks at the base of the mast. Thank you all for your comments. This group is always my go to when I have to think outside the box. :)

Apr 12, 2005
Well, Titan Manufacturing in Ft. Myers, Fl finally got the compression post sleeve and weight removed from the body of the compression post. Now, Ameritech will sand blasted, polish, heat, epoxy primer everything and powder coat exteriors. I don't think the bushing in img 1727 is suppose to be broken like that, so I will have to look for a replacement. I will post the finished project when done.

Attachments