compression post and VHF connections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
I have just take out the compresson post of a lancer 28, what i found was a compression post, with two plates either end, both plates drilled to take bolts, but the only bolts, holding the mast shoe, the other end, which rested on the keel, had no bolts holding it, and was just sitting. Their were small squares of plywood, between the compression post and the keel, and between the compression post and the coach roof.

Should the post be bolted into the keel, seems to me it should.

I would also like to fit a vhf antenna, but i want to run the coax to the mast step, then have a fitting, where i can hook the cable from the mast to, and disconnect it, when i take the mast down, but a cant find a fitting like this, any ideas.

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Good afternoon AtlanticAl. I have a 79 L25 that is bolted at both the top and bottom of the compression post. An idea I have, but yet tested, is to run the coax inside the compression post through the tabernacle and then make the connection inside the mast instead of using a deck-type connector. I've thought about holding a pig-tale using a bungee cord, which I would pull down to make the connection then allow the cable to be pulled inside the mast. Also, I would run the coax through a rubber grommet to aid in making the tabernacle water tight. Steve

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
Good afternoon AtlanticAl. I have a 79 L25 that is bolted at both the top and bottom of the compression post. An idea I have, but yet tested, is to run the coax inside the compression post through the tabernacle and then make the connection inside the mast instead of using a deck-type connector. I've thought about holding a pig-tale using a bungee cord, which I would pull down to make the connection then allow the cable to be pulled inside the mast. Also, I would run the coax through a rubber grommet to aid in making the tabernacle water tight. Steve
I am going to check it out a bit more tomorrow. It was evening when i got the compression post out, and couldnt see any trace of bolt holes on the keel, but i will have another look, as their are certainly bolt holes on that part of the compression post, I suppose they could have just forgoten to bolt it to the keel.
The coaxial idea, sounds pretty good, but, a concern i have, would be, it involves sealing, the hole you drill through the mast step, and the hole through the cabin, of course, if the mast step is sealed well, you wouldnt really have to bother about sealing the hole in the coach roof.

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Good evening AtlanticAl. My thoughts are to install a large rubber grommet through both the tabernacle and coachroof, that is if they make one that size(;-) Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.