Compression Post - a different problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris Glander

After reading all the posts on the hunter 34 compression post problem I have looked mine over very closely and I do not see any of the problems previously mentioned, but I did notice something else. At the base of the post where it sits on the frame their is something strange. On the forward side of the frame out about a foot on either side of the post I have cracks in the fiberglass and on the aft side I have bulges. Does anyone else have this condition and if so has it caused any problems. My boat has been this way ever since I've owned it (three years) and it has not changed any. The surveyor was not concerned about it, so I have not done anything with it. Any thoughts?

E

Ed

Post Support

I had a similar situation on my 34 in the fiberglass beam to port of the compression post in the doorway between the sink and the head.(lumpy in this area), and a crack at the starboard edge of the shower sump. It was there for a long time - 12 years, but the "lumpy" part seemed to open up slightly. I ground the bad areas out and found that the cracked area seemed to have had a good glass job, but the area in the doorway appeared to have been starved of resin when it was built. I repaired with epoxy and cloth in both areas last summer and it seems to be holding up well. If I were you I would fix the cracks. If you can get at the location of them it is not a hard job.

R

Ron S.

Bulges

I had the exactly the same problem and it is something that needs attention. On mine there was a wooden 2x4 in that area that was twisting from the weight of the mast on it. There was a "V" notch cut in it to allow the wiring to pass through it instead of a drilled hole. Due to this, the uneven wight caused the 2x4 to twist, thus pushed outward on the "frame" which is what you are seeing. My marina got in there, and completely rebuilt the area which is what is needed in your case. Not an easy job but should be done as soon as possible for safety sake. If you have any questions please email me. Good Luck Ron rons533@supernet.com

Status
Not open for further replies.