Compression Post--1978 30 foot

Apr 4, 2023
Hunter 30 Newport Beach
Have any of you replaced what looks to be an I-beam connecting the compression post to the keel? Mine is pretty rusted out. Any tips appreciated.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Do a search of my posts. I replaced mine about 4 years ago with composite countertop material (Paperstone). Has worked very well. A lot of work but not complicated. You just have to plan it out and bring everything you need to the boat. . I did not remove the mast and did it in the slip.

• Helpful
Dec 28, 2015
feel free to reach out with any questions. You will notice that the compression post is not centered directly under the mast. My mast step showed signs of the compression post twisting due to the I beam failing and the post not being centered. I added a second compression post in front of the original that allowed the bathroom door to slide between the two. I reinstalled the original and the new one with a large carbon fiber plate between the posts and the ceiling to distribute the pressure and over come the off center effect.

• Helpful
May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
rdalessio
I had my step base replaced 10 years ago due to rust. It was a fairly big job, as there was fiberglass cutting, cabin sole replacement, mast removal and teak trim R&R involved. :yikes:
(I'm not big on sugar coating a problem).
But, I will offer you a deal on a replacement step base...
Four years ago I met another H30C owner after a Florida hurricane totaled his boat.
He was parting it out. As I was the last 'buyer', he offered me his titanium
(what he said, but it might be aluminum), custom made, mast step base for $10!
So I bought it.
I will probably be long dead before the replacement step on Intuition fails,
so I'll never need the fancy one.
If you want it, it's yours. Just pay the shipping.
Let me know.

Dec 28, 2015
You can easily do the job while keeping the mast stepped. I propped up the step with a couple 2x4s and bottle jacks after loosening the rig.

• Helpful
Apr 4, 2023
Hunter 30 Newport Beach
feel free to reach out with any questions. You will notice that the compression post is not centered directly under the mast. My mast step showed signs of the compression post twisting due to the I beam failing and the post not being centered. I added a second compression post in front of the original that allowed the bathroom door to slide between the two. I reinstalled the original and the new one with a large carbon fiber plate between the posts and the ceiling to distribute the pressure and over come the off center effect.
Wow, quite a job and supremely helpful! Your posts and pictures are exactly what I've got going on (minus the leaks). Thanks.

Dec 28, 2015
Wow, quite a job and supremely helpful! Your posts and pictures are exactly what I've got going on (minus the leaks). Thanks.
about a third of my time was spent overcoming the leak. I ended up drilling and feeding conduit up through the ceiling, base place and into the inside of the mast then ran the wiring through it, sealed it at the bottom. I ran the wires through the finger of a vinyl chemical glove and placed the long cuff over the conduit all inside of the mast working through a 1.5" hole on the side of the mast. It was a pain but its not leaking! What the pictures don't show is that once the support was epoxied into place, I drilled two holes through its top into the epoxy bed it sits on then epoxied two stainless steel rods in to lock it all together. It isn't going anywhere and it can't rot.