Compass Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2005
Catalina 36 Dana Point, CA
I have a 1986 Catalina 36 sailboat with a binnacle mounted Ritchie compass on top of an Edson steering pedestal. This is original equipment on the boat. I need to get it repaired, but the repair facility wants to know the model before they can work with me. Does anyone know what model Ritchie compass Catalina installed on their 1986 models?

May 23, 2005
I have a 1986 Catalina 36 sailboat with a binnacle mounted Ritchie compass on top of an Edson steering pedestal. This is original equipment on the boat. I need to get it repaired, but the repair facility wants to know the model before they can work with me. Does anyone know what model Ritchie compass Catalina installed on their 1986 models?

Sep 10, 2007
Catalina 34mkII NJ
Remove and Check

Removal the compass is straight forward and the model number should be on the underside.

Sep 10, 2007
Catalina 34mkII NJ
Remove and Check

Removal the compass is straight forward and the model number should be on the underside.

May 23, 2005
How to do it?

Thanks for your reply. I am not very mechanical, but I looked at the compass, and the only fasteners I saw were 2 screws holding a plastic piece that looks like it might house the lighting fixture. If I remove those 2 screws, will the compass just lift off? Actually, I was hoping that someone could tell me the model just based on the type of boat it is, since the compass was original equipment.

May 23, 2005
How to do it?

Thanks for your reply. I am not very mechanical, but I looked at the compass, and the only fasteners I saw were 2 screws holding a plastic piece that looks like it might house the lighting fixture. If I remove those 2 screws, will the compass just lift off? Actually, I was hoping that someone could tell me the model just based on the type of boat it is, since the compass was original equipment.

Sep 10, 2007
Catalina 34mkII NJ
Yes and No...

Try to remove the two screws and remove the trim ring??? Then there should be four to six screws holding the compass. IT will lift right out once the correct screws are removed.

Sep 10, 2007
Catalina 34mkII NJ
Yes and No...

Try to remove the two screws and remove the trim ring??? Then there should be four to six screws holding the compass. IT will lift right out once the correct screws are removed.

May 23, 2005
Thank you.

I'll try that. I guess you don't know the model based on the type of boat.

May 23, 2005
Thank you.

I'll try that. I guess you don't know the model based on the type of boat.

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 30 MKII Channel Islands Harbor, CA
This may help

While our boat is different (we have an '88 Catalina 30) I believe Catalina used the same make/model of compass on many of their boats ... at least we've seen similar ones on boats of vaired sizes. Ours is a Ritchie, Model DNB200 Ser #B/87. I agree that it's very simple to remove the compass. There should be several small screws that hold a trim ring in place. These are usually very quick and easy to remove and should let you access the model number of your compass if you want to be certain. Gary

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 30 MKII Channel Islands Harbor, CA
This may help

While our boat is different (we have an '88 Catalina 30) I believe Catalina used the same make/model of compass on many of their boats ... at least we've seen similar ones on boats of vaired sizes. Ours is a Ritchie, Model DNB200 Ser #B/87. I agree that it's very simple to remove the compass. There should be several small screws that hold a trim ring in place. These are usually very quick and easy to remove and should let you access the model number of your compass if you want to be certain. Gary

May 31, 2004
Catalina 36 MK II Havre de Grace, MD
Compass Manual

Be sure to use non-magnetic tools when removing and re-installing. Also, this link may be of some help. As everyone else said, is not a problem to do.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 36 MK II Havre de Grace, MD
Compass Manual

Be sure to use non-magnetic tools when removing and re-installing. Also, this link may be of some help. As everyone else said, is not a problem to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.