Compass Mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbleic

Jul 22, 2006
- - Edgartown, MA
I was discouraged from getting a compass, as there isn't a good place to mount one. Some on the forum have spoken of expensive mast-mounted compasses. I found a good alternative, I think. I bought the Ritchie handheld compass (see link). There is a nice mounting plate that can be attached with screws, or (as I plan) waterproof velcro. I plan to put this on the center elevated cover for the centerboard. From photos, I think it should fit. It is about 3 inches square.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
Velcro... maybe

I would use the screws if you can. I used velcro on my first compass. I now have a second compass. Once knocked loose... out the open transom she goes. It didn't float. Mounted down there will subject it to getting caught in your sheets. I mounted my second compass on the mast using a modified sail slug in the track. I was afraid it would be hard to read way up there, so I looked for one with larger characters. The handheld is good for taking a bearing, also very helpful. I like the holder yours fits into allowing you to use it both ways. JerryA

Status
Not open for further replies.