Compass and depth finder replacement for 285

3GGG

Jun 23, 2024
Hunter 285 Guntersville
I want to replace the compass and the depth finder. Neither instrument works. I can get by without a compass but the depth finder is something I think I really need.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
You should indicate what kind of compass, where it is mounted and what your usage will be.
The depth sounder is electrically operated. There are several sizes, brands and functions, like temp,
and speed incorporated that some models have and some don't.
We need more info.

• Helpful

3GGG

Jun 23, 2024
Hunter 285 Guntersville
You should indicate what kind of compass, where it is mounted and what your usage will be.
Only thing I found was a Danforth tag on the bottom. It is a surface mount on the pedestal, center.
Usage will be lake sailing. I don't know the standard sizing for compasses from what I can tell the sizing on the installed one is larger than any I have found online. The width of the current compass mounting ring is 5 7/8".

The depth sounder is electrically operated. There are several sizes, brands and functions, like temp,
and speed incorporated that some models have and some don't.
We need more info
.I will get more next time I am on the boat

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You do realize that you can put any instrument on your boat you want. Yes, Hunter built the boats, and they could have included an instrument package with the boat, but it's also possible the new owner preferred something else. If you were not blessed with a conscientious previous owner then now's the time to become one yourself and start compiling an equipment inventory and a maintenance and repairl log. Your boat's profile should also include an accounting of all upgrades and retrofits, along with a library of instruction manuals. This little chore is basic boat ownership 101, and it will give you a big advantage not only during your term of ownership, but in making your vessel more attractive to prospective buyers. i.e. they will respect you and want to give you money.

Regarding the instruments you've mentioned. The compass is easy. Get one that fits the existing mount. There's one to fit every budget. The depth instrument can be easy too, especially if the sensor unit that is embedded in the hull still works. The display, or instrument, may have some damaged connections, or the wires connecting the two could be frayed or disconnected. You'll just have to do a little investigating. It is very common to purchase the display/instrument and the sensor separately. The old, non networking models are still being sold and they are not expensive at all. What you're hoping for is the old sensor is still signaling, so all you need is an older model display. As I mentioned, your investigations of your boat and down at the local boat store.... or online boat stores too.. will bring you up to speed pretty quick on how all these things fit together.. good luck... have fun.
BTW, all the years I've had my current boat, I've carried a "lead" line to find the depth in case the instrument conks out......but it never has... but....if you're antsy because your depth tool isn't working, you can always tie a big fishing weight to some line and go old school.:)

3GGG

Jun 23, 2024
Hunter 285 Guntersville
..start compiling an equipment inventory and a maintenance and repairl log. Your boat's profile should also include an accounting of all upgrades and retrofits, along with a library of instruction manuals.: Working on the manuals part. Will do the maintenance log as you suggested.

you can always tie a big fishing weight to some line and go old school.:) :
Mark Twain I presume. :D Good idea Thank you.