Companionway Step Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 2011
Catalina 310 Gloucester Point, Va
I need to replace my rubber step pads. Any idea on where to get replacement pads? I see pads from Treadmaster on the West Marine website, they seem expensive and I would have to cut them. Does Catalina Direct have replacement pads? Any advice would be appreciated.
Catalina 2005 310 # 288

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
PaulJ is again the Man on this!

I recall he had his re-done a while ago with that synthetic teak stuff and it look amazing. I think he even had pictures. :D

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
Teak and holly stairs

The article on this appeared in the August 2008 issue of Mainsheet. The company that manufactures the PlasTEAK iis TT Marine Products. Link is http://www.ttcustommarine.biz/page/page/3755821.htm . The 310 owner is no longer a mamber but he used the old stair treds as a pattern to cut the PlasTEAK for each stair, cleaned with an adhesive remover from West Marine, and glued them down with the adhesive from TT Marine. Material cuts with a scissors. He claimed the material provided excellent traction. If someone completes this project please give us all the details.

Mar 15, 2011
I found the sight that sells the material for the steps. West Marine and others have it as well, pre-cut. Problem is the pre-cut sheets do not fit the steps as shown in the picture. I can buy a uncut sheet for about $115-$120 dollars, and cut each step to fit perfectly, but the problem is the sheet is large enough for two sets of stairs....Actually, if someone wants to come in and share a sheet, we both would end up with enough material to re-do the steps and save money.

Anyone interested in sharing a full sheet.?

Bob

Attachments

Feb 9, 2005
Catalina 310 City Island, New York City
Hi Bob,
I would share a sheet if you still want to do it,
Mike

May 3, 2008
Catalina 310 Catawba Island
Captains Bob & Mike: When you finish the install please submit a short post or link with pics if possible on the process. I am really interested in how you got the old stuff off the stairs.

Dec 7, 2008
Catalina 310 Waretown, NJ
About 3-4 years ago, after reading the August 2008 issue of Mainsheet, I replaced my steps with PlasTEAK . My old steps were starting to curl up on the edges and crack so it was very easy to pick up an edge and, ever so slowly, pull the old pads off the dog house. I was very lucky and all pieces came out whole. I then put the old pieces, sticky side down, on waxed paper so that I could re-use them as a template should I need to replace something later on. I cut out new PlasTEAK step pads from these templates using sharp scissors. Then, I put down the new steps using the glue that I purchased from TT. I probably used too much glue because I really didn't know how much to use to get the PlasTEAK to stick. For the next couple of days/weeks I pushed down on the edges and corners and removed any glue that started to ooze out. Eventually the edges stuck down and it's been fantastic for the past 3 years. I thought it might be slippery with wet shoes or feet, but we don't find that to be the case. It looks so much nicer than the original rubber. My steps look exactly as the pictures in Mainsheet because I used that as my model. Since I don't have a picture of my steps right here, I'm using a picture from the magazine. I hope the true owner of the picture does not mind if I "borrowed" his companionway picture.

Mar 15, 2011
Got the steps done, pulled off the old steps, had to really tug at them, cut the new ones using the old rubber steps as a guide, then cleaned the steps with goof off and then installed the new steps,..they turned out great.
Bob

Attachments

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Bob, Nice Job!
If I were to do this I would have to do the Plasteak model, my wife saw them done that way and that was it!

Mar 10, 2012
Catalina 310 Hull#293 Erie, PA
Inspired by my fellow 310 Captains, i just completed the Plasteak version. The teak & holly Matte matches the our sole perfectly. OK, removal! The Admiral suggested using a hair dryer to loosen up the old treads; like all of her suggestions worked great. Heat up an edge and start peeling. They came right up. then used goof-off for cleanup, especially around the edges which are dirty and may be seen after the new tread goes down. The treads stayed together and could be used as templates. But sticky everywhere. Make sure you cover up everything and wear disposable gloves for removal and install.

Bought vinyl adhesive from Plasteak, and needed about a pint. probably could use any vinyl adhesive from the flooring or hardware store. After cutting the new tread, with the lines matching the lines on the cabin sole, you use a 1/8 trowel to apply the adhesive. Don't use too much, as it will continue to trickle out for several days after install if too thick. Tip for lining up the lines is to start with the bottom step, and keeping matching each stair with the one below. Ya, ya, I messes up the 2 nd step which got canted a bit. Guess what, you cannot get these up after they are set for 48 hours. So I have to live with the off centered one. A small roller would help to seal it down, but a rag in hand seemed to work.

The Plasteak people , Sarah, were very helpful and confirmed that I needed 2 linear feet if I wanted to match the lines. With material and shipping $125. Love the look! Thank you for the inspiration.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.