Companionway cover / door / hatch boards

Curt

Jun 6, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 518 Buffalo
When I purchased our Capri it had a heavy 0.75" plywood "door" to seal the companionway. Functional, heavy and unsightly. I replaced it with a found piece of wood paneling, cut to fit. Adorned with a variegated star compass rose and marine varnished. Nice and light, looked good and worked well. Now it is peeling and delaminating. As I knew it wood given the material I started out with.

I am considering having a single piece of appropriate thickness tinted polycarbonate cut to fit and I may etch the compass rose in it. I don't mind a single section hatch board. Is there some reason I don't know about that makes this a bad idea?

How do you keep your boat closed up?

Cheers,
Curt

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
My hatchboard is one piece, grey in color, has a few lateral slits (ventilation ?) and came stock with the boat. I have no complaints. I used to wish for some sort of slotted bin in the cabin to stow the hatchboard while sailing yet am ok with simply sliding it forward in the v berth.
wooster

Jul 9, 2013
I need to build a new one too as my original 1985 single piece is delaminating into multiple pieces.

What do most folks do for replacements? Single piece from wood or starboard? Or some type of lexan or other polycarbonate? Or are multiple pieces preferred?

Thanks,
Jerry

Jul 13, 2011
Capri 22 MK1 659 Canandaigua Lake
I'm going to try making a set out of AZEK PVC trim material available from a home center. My OEM plywood one-piece has also started to delaminate. I wish I had sealed the bottom edge of it with epoxy before it got to this point.

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Well, I always work on a budget. 1/2" plywood and a teak louver which I picked up for "free".
Was in a box at my club one day with other miscellaneous stuff in it.
With a sign; "Take only if you are going to use".

My boat is still partially covered. Snow is forecast for this Sunday/Monday April 3 & 4.

Note the extra handle I have below the louvers. Makes taking the hatch out a lot easier.

Hershey

Attachments

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Hershey said:
Note the extra handle I have below the louvers. Makes taking the hatch out a lot easier.

Hershey
Great idea with the handle. Need to copy that on my 2006 Capri 22. Thx for sharing...