Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Ken Wescoat

communications We are finally going from New Jersey to Florida leaving in October. Hopefully the Bahamas too but at least Key West. We need to find a cell phone company with good rates for the East Coast , also one that gets good reception. Also have lots of questions about E-Mail ANy help greatly appreciated.

J

Jim Ewing

Sprint PCS

Ken, I got Sprint PCS with the wireless web option. It has good coverage in and near cities and pretty good coverage along and near the interstates. I've heard of a couple of big coverage holes on the east coast (NC for example) but I don't have first hand knowledge. It's great for e-mail (I just plug it into my laptop) and fair for web browsing. It usually data connects at 14.4 and I just disable graphic downloads on my browser so performance is OK except on sites that have no text navigation (Then you end up guessing a lot). A big plus is that with Sprint everything's a local call nationwide. Hope this helps if you've got any more questions my e-mail is Prospect@JamesEwing.com Jim h37.5 "Prospect"

P

Pete

Cell Phone Coverage Area, Anecdotal Evidence

I have had good coverage in the Chesapeake Bay with Verizon. My work phone (Nextel) has horrible coverage on the bay. I have heard that Sprint was lousy on the bay too, but don't have first hand knowledge. A buddy is happy with Cingular here on the bay. If you look at their coverage maps Verizon looks promising for what you want and my local experience has been promising. I do not know how well all of this will extrapolate to the rest of the coast. I used to be a whitewater kayaker and spent lots of time in the mountains. Judging by the phones my buddies carried, Sprint was the worst for coverage away from the interstates and the major cities. Verizon (was Bell Atlantic Mobile at the time) was the best. This was in the opposite direction away from the major metro areas as compared to the coast though. Good luck. I hope you find coverage you are happy with. Pete

M

Mike

My experience:

I have had poor service experiences from Sprint and AT

J

jim oursler

best communications is combination AMPS/DAMPs phon

HI.. Bottom line is you need the old USA standbys. CAll ATT and get a dual mode AMPS/DAMPs phone service. AMPS was first system in US and DAMPS the second. All others are spotty coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.