Communicate with 27' Hunter 1983 owners

Mar 13, 2018
Hunter 27 Rayburn Country Marina, Tx
I would like to hear from any owners of similar boat. Owned mine for 15 years and love the old girl. Sail on Lake Sam Rayburn in East Texas (85 Miles North of Beaumont) in the beautiful Piney Woods Country. All subjects, all interests, all input dealing with lake sailing appreciated. Generally sail single handed.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
There are several H27 sailors that frequent this forum. With your knowledge of the boat, feel free to jump in when questions arise and help us keep the old ladies going.

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
I have a new-to-me 1984 Hunter 27, I would like to set it up for single handed sailing. Any advice on what to do to make this easier to sail. I sail the coastal waters of New England, mostly NH & ME. Next years goal is to take her now the east coast around the keys up to Pensacola FL and back.

Apr 22, 2011
A reliable wheel pilot is important for single handling, as well as VHF radio access while up top. A furling jib is a big plus. Raise the mainsail with halyard leading into the cockpit. Rig the mainsail so you can easily get one reef in, preferable from the cockpit or one quick trip up to the mast to hook on a reef grommet. The H27 is not the greatest under sail, so make sure the engine systems are well maintained.

Oct 30, 2011
A reliable wheel pilot is important for single handling, as well as VHF radio access while up top. A furling jib is a big plus. Raise the mainsail with halyard leading into the cockpit. Rig the mainsail so you can easily get one reef in, preferable from the cockpit or one quick trip up to the mast to hook on a reef grommet. The H27 is not the greatest under sail, so make sure the engine systems are well maintained.
Got all of the above, If time and money permit plan is to add a traveler. Still trying to decide which system would be best.

May 14, 2016
Hunter Hunter 27 Newport RI
I added auto pilot last year to my Hunter 27 1883. Well worth the investment to be able to leave the helm when you want or need to.

Jun 8, 2021
Hunter 1983 27’ Percy Priest
Helping my father get his Hunter 27 get ready for the summer after 18 months of being untouched in the slip mostly because of Covid. Probably going to need a bit of maintenance and any assistance would be greatly appreciated from you guys that have quite a bit more experience with this boat than myself.

Oct 30, 2011
Glad to help any way that I can. What specifically do you have question on. I'd begin with what does the boat need to sail. Then repair or replace any areas in question.

Apr 22, 2011
Your Dad's boat probably has a Yanmar 1gm diesel engine. After 18 months of nonuse, you should change the engine oil after warming it up for about 10 minutes. I would also exercise the seacocks to make sure you can open and shut them when needed. Empty, clean out, and refill the water tank.
If the battery was left on the boat, it's condition needs to be checked.