Columbia 45 - How thick is the core?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2010
Columbia 45 Shoal Draft Sloop Christiansted, USVI
I am a new member here. I recently purchased a 1975 Columbia 45' Shoal Draft Sloop. The cockpit area from the captain's chair pedestal base, back to almost the main cabin hatch is soft. I suspect that this began by leakage around/from the pedestal base as I've noticed that it holds water after a rain. What I need to know is how thick is the core in this area? I live in the Virgin Islands and would like to obtain the replacement prior to cutting out this area. Thanks for your time and (hopefully) help.

Sep 6, 2010
Columbia C-45 Ft Myers
Best Source for Info

I am a new member here. I recently purchased a 1975 Columbia 45' Shoal Draft Sloop. The cockpit area from the captain's chair pedestal base, back to almost the main cabin hatch is soft. I suspect that this began by leakage around/from the pedestal base as I've noticed that it holds water after a rain. What I need to know is how thick is the core in this area? I live in the Virgin Islands and would like to obtain the replacement prior to cutting out this area. Thanks for your time and (hopefully) help.
I recently purchased a 1973 C-45 and in doing the research up to the purcase found the following site where you can buy literally every drawing used in the C-45 production.
http://www.boatbrochure.com/servlet/the-Columbia-45/Categories

You mention obtaining a replacement. What are you looking to replace? I also bought a 1974 C-45 which I am parting out and wondering what to do with the hull and deck. However, the area from the nav pedestal to the main salon hatch is worn as much of the overall deck.

Overall, there is not much you will find unique to the 1970 to mid/late 1980 years. There is a guy in Maryland who supposedly has a large stock of original inventory items from Columbia when they shut down. I have tried to call him but line is always busy.

In consideration of a deck repair, unlike many other sailboats and power boats, this C-45 has a really unique hull deck joint. Actually pulling the deck off would be a major exercise and very costly. I will in the next day or so see if I can get a measurement on the deck/liner thickness and advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.