Columbia 36 - lower compression post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 14, 2011
Columbia 36 Mark II Rochester
Hi Folks:

I've got to replace a rotten compression post on my Columbia 36 that runs from the underside of the sole to the keel.

Anyone out there have suggestions? Plans?

Must it be wood? Could it be metal? Could it be graphite?

Thanks in advance!

MCPassage
Glenn "MC" Call
Rochester NY

Nov 23, 2004
Columbia 8.7 Super wide body Deltaville(Richmond)VA
Unusual for the compression post to go bad, but , you could use steel, aluminum, wood, but I don't think you'd want to use carbon fiber. A section of aluminum mast, if stepped correctly to the keel would work, but why not go back with wood? White oak, saturated with epoxy on the keel end will last longer than you will....
I've seen boats with porch jacks as compression post, so use what you have. Just make sure it's going to stay in place, and is isolated well from any moisture.

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia 36 Mark II Rochester
Columbia 36 compression post

Unusual for the compression post to go bad, but , you could use steel, aluminum, wood, but I don't think you'd want to use carbon fiber. A section of aluminum mast, if stepped correctly to the keel would work, but why not go back with wood? White oak, saturated with epoxy on the keel end will last longer than you will....
I've seen boats with porch jacks as compression post, so use what you have. Just make sure it's going to stay in place, and is isolated well from any moisture.
Well, "isolated well from any moisture" is exactly the problem ... the bottom sits on the keel in the bilge. Last guy let it sit in bilgewater for months while it was in its winter cradle.

The question has expanded -

It *appears* as though the compression post is actually two posts - one from the cabin ceiling to the sole (about 6' and in fine condition) and the other from the sole to the keel - it's about a foot long and this is the part I'm puzzled about.

If it's two parts as described above, the good news is I don't have to chew into the sole to get the whole thing out (about 7').

The bad news is it's going to be a b**** getting the post out in either case.

Anyone know this particular boat and how it is constructed?

What other Columbias might have isn't really helpful - this is the only Columbia designed by this particular designer (William Crealock) and has little in common with other Columbias.

Thanks!

MC

Status
Not open for further replies.