Columbia 33 Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Terry Goodin

I am looking at a Columbia 33 Sabre model. Does anyone know anything about this boat ? I found some info. on a website to indicate the boat was originally built for the Olympics, before fiberglass was banned. Are they dependable boats ? What about creature comforts ? Thanks

S

Scott Pasley

Re:

I am purchasing one of these boats as well. You can get a lot of information from the columbia owners website and also by joining the yahoo group (do a search on yahoo..columbia owners group). From all that i have read they are great boats and if you are doing any PRHF racing they have an average per of around 192 in the PRHF book but race more like a 170.

J

john

sabre info

The Sabre is really a 5.5 meter hull with a cabin on it. The 5.5 was an olympic class and limited entirely to wood hulls. These boats were state of the art at the the time and VERY expensive to build. Columbia took a gamble that the Olympics would start allowing fiberglass hulls and created the 5.5 mold. In the end the olympic commitee decided not to allow glass 5.5's and columbia was stuck with the mold.They added a cabin to the hull and called it the sabre in the hopes they could sell more boats. They built close to 150 of them before selling the design to Erickson who changed the transom ,making it angle in instead of out such as on the sabre. Ericson built roughly 28 hulls and called them the "Scorpion" before stopping production. The sabre is actually constructed of solid glass,only the deck is cored. They are built in two halves then glassed together.Finally the cabin top is tabbed to the hull. This is a very fast boat I've averaged just under eight knots just off the wind. She loves to stand on her ear and develops very little weather helm(god help you if you fall over single handing because she'll keep on sailing). The main weakness with the Sabre is downwind performance. She has a small rudder direcly behind the keel which limits steerage dead downwind (and under power). There's a fellow in Lake of the Ozarks who added three inches to the rudder to try and compensate for this but I dont think he's tried her out yet. The other drawback is the fact that you cannot sail her under Main alone. She needs the jib to come off the wind and balance the rig.I have sailed in 30 knots with a reefed main only,but even here You need to tack quickly and use boat speed to get off the wind,and your still left with alot of helm. I hope this has been of some help. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me at m2hj@cs.com

P

Paul Lieblich

Also looking at Columbia Sabres

Terry, I am also looking at a Columbia Sabre here on the east coast. What do you know about the engines on these boats, the one that I am looking at does not have one. What would one do about that. One guy told me the boat points well, is pretty fast, not much headroom in the galley ( I can see that). I'm looking at a 1966, the owner is asking for $6,000 but will negotiate. My "adviser" said to offer about $3,000. The current owner says that he replaced the wood in the deck and that it is now good and stiff. If you know of anyplace I can get more info I'd appreciate hearing from you.

P

Paul Lieblich

Columbia Sabre engine needed

John, I read your feedback on the Columbia Sabre. I too am looking at a 1966 version. It’s a very classy looking boat, nice lines and at least looks fast. The big question for me right now is that the boat does not have an engine. The owner has glassed over the hole where the drive comes out through the hull. Do you know anything about how one could “reengine” this boat. According to the current owner he says that he has not been able to find a replacement drive unit for what was in there. I think the main problem was that this drive unit went and I gather he got rid of the whole lot, engine and drive unit. He mentioned something a Honda engine but could not be too specific. Also the guy at the local marine supply/shipyard says that he was not able to find a dealer to equip the power plant on this boat. Any leads or ideas on what one would do to come up with a power plant? The owner thought maybe a box could be built in the engine hold on which to mount an outboard. He also mentioned the possibility of installing an off-the-hull exterior outboard engine mount. I don’t like the idea since it seems awkward and would make a mess of the lines. Also any sense of what a reasonable price to pay for this boat would be (with no engine, trim in mediocre shape, sails and rigging in good shape, new self furling jib)? Any additional comments you have on this would be appreciated. Paul L.

Status
Not open for further replies.