Columbia 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doug Middleton

I have just purchased a columbia 26 foot sail boat... can anyone give me any info on this boat? someone told me that columbia's are not very good sail boats, cause they dont handle very well, and the wind tends to push them sideways more than other boats.. is this true? Also, my top deck seems soft in places beside the raised cabin area and in front of it... is this going to be a serious problem? Thanks in advance.. Doug

C

camw

Columbia 26 Sailboat

Well, first there are two Columbia 26's. The Columbia 26 and the Columbia 26 Mark II. Both boats are excellent sailing vessels. The 26 Mark II is more of a racing boat. It is more sensitive to the helm, but goes like the wind. The standard Columbia 26 is no slouch, but is a better cruising boat. One thing about columbias, they were built like tanks. The only problem is if not taken care of, you can get soggy decks. To have a soggy deck repaired professionally, you would spend many thousands of dollars. If you do the work yourself, it costs a lot less, but it can be a lot of work. I was crew on my neighbor's 1966 Columbia 26 (not a Mark II) several times before I bought the boat I have now--A Columbia 36. My boat is comfortable to live aboard for one or two. I would not want to have more than that for more than a week or two. There are two doubles and two singles. But a 36 is not really good for more than two living aboard. If you were going someplace (like South America, or through the canal to the west coast), you could manage with four for several weeks. However the Columbia 26 is much better for cruising than the 26 MkII. It has 6' headroom from the entry hatch to the V-Berth. It is comfortable, I have not sailed on a 26 Mark II, so I cannot really comment on it. However everyone who has one is madly in love with it. When someone gives up a 26 Mk II it is usually to go to a larger Columbia. Cam Whetstone s/v C36 - Wolf's Den Baltimore, Md. USA

K

Kip Hamilton

Welcome aboard Doug!

Doug, There is a fairly active Columbia owner's group sort of centered around this web site: www.columbia-yachts.com. Two GREAT discussion lists: columbia-list@sailnet.net columbiasailingyachts@yahoogroups.com Also, there are a lot of us in the Baltimore/Annapolis/Galesville area who try to get together on and off the water a number of times during the year. Look at Eric White's site (he has a C40 out of Galesville) and join the two lists I gave you and we'll get your info to keep you in the local loop for activities. The 26 is a great boat! You'll love her! Kip Hamilton C36 "Moonbreeze" Magothy River, MD

G

Glenn Spicer

Soft spots

Soft spots are usually not a problem unless they are in the head or extensive and in other critical structural areas like under the mast. There are websites that discuss the recoring of decks in length, but my boat also has a couple of minor soft spots, the most important thing to stop the core rot (the source of most soft spots) is to stop it from spreading by stoping the leak that is causing it, usually a poorly caulked bolt hole or fitting. The website I have included is an example of a complete recore job, not nice but well done

B

bill gilligan

don't you believe it!

I don't know about your boat but I have a '63 c-24 and even with all of that cabin she goes where you point her. I find her very easy to sail on all points and have surpised more than one capt. with her speed.I find her a great boat and as my kids are getting older she seems to get roomier. I will not move up to a bigger boat. As for quality she is all fiberglass. No core to rot away and other than gellcoat cracks and one soft spot on the cockpit seat (this years project) all is sound. Your soft spots do sound like a problem to me. I'd say to go get an expert opinion. good luck B.

M

Mike

col 26

I have a Col 26 MK II and sailed her from deale md to fells point MD and it was great , no different then anyother sailboat

Status
Not open for further replies.