Color of your lines

Aug 29, 2023
Catalina 30 Milwaukee
I just purchased a Catalina 30. I find it confusing how the previous owner has almost all the lines the same color.

Just out of curiosity what do you have your lines colored as?
Thanks

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
When I bought Skipping Stone, I bought a whole spool of 1/2" double braid and got busy splicing. I even changed out the running backstays. The only running rigging that was different was the spinnaker lines, color coded to port and stb.
I did label the winches and clutches, but they were never replaced when they faded because I didn't have enough guests that were interested in which string to pull. Colored running rigging seems unnecessary if it is just a cruising boat, crewed by a couple.
However, I'm a huge fan of colored piping in the engine room and throughout the boat. Green for seawater, blue for fresh, etc.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Mine are pretty much all the same color. I learned their proper names and used those.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
I try to vary the color of my lines. It's not a hard and fast rule, but I like to be able to tell which is which by color as well as location. For example my headsail and mainsail halyards use the same double clutch. I labeled them once, but it faded away long ago. Blue is jib, green is main. A similar situation applies to my reef lines which run through the boom. Reef #1 is white w/red flecks, reef #2 is red with white flecks. Since the halyards are inside the mast and the reef lines are inside the boom I can't follow them visually, with different colors I don't have to remember which side is which nor use trial & error.

Other lines I don't much care about. For example my port & starboard spreader flags halyard are quite obvious, so they can be the same color.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
You can almost tell how long a sailor has been sailing by the color of the lines on their boats, whether it be in threads like this or walking the docks in my marina.
Life long sailors don't bother with colors for lines. Newer sailors, like myself, seem to like having colors. The newest sailors seem to like red on port and green of starboard.
As @Stu Jackson taught me early on, YBYC. (Your Boat, Your Choice)

My sail control lines are of various colors. When I bought any first keel boat 12 yrs ago I found it helpful to have different color lines and my (now ex) wife liked the pop of color they brought to the all white boat.
In fact I still like the "Bling" of new brightly colored lines I see on some boats.

Now, with a boat that has something like 8 lines entering the cockpit through the dodger, I find it helps to keep lines sorted, especially for my wife who is new to sailing.
I also find most non sailing guests have fun helping out when tacking. Much easier for me to ask them to pull in or let out the solid blue line then grab the white line, no the other white line.

As to what colors, when I outfitted my C30 the first season in 2018 I tried to group main sail lines with blue colors for the sheets, halyards and traveler. For the jib I used green lines for the halyards and sheets. Other trim control lines were variations of red.
It's hard to stick to a color plan though. As I've upgraded/added some lines I couldn't find them in the color I wanted.

@outatime If you do a Google search on "what color lines for my sailboat" and find many results, several pointing back to this forum.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
As @Stu Jackson taught me early on, YBYC. (Your Boat, Your Choice)
:plus: So true…

If it makes you happy. Rainbow out the colors. It will aid in giving instructions to crew. Unless they are color blind than you will be still saying “NO NO NO it is the other red line…”

Sail your boat a few times and you will soon know which line to grab. What helps old sailors is that fact that the lines are set back in the same place they were when you first grabbed them. It is knowing on a boat every thing has a place to rest and a place to work.

Screw up with that and you may stand Captain’s Mast and the words Keel Haul will be meaningful.:yikes:

• Helpful