Color fading in grey hull

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
As you can see from the pictures below, the grey hull of my 35.1 seems to have some faded area. I don't think it is superficial. What might this be? How to fix?
bow1.jpeg
bow2.jpeg

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Oxidation.......several boats like that in our marina. Do an internet search on how to remove oxidation and restore fiberglass color. It will require compounding, wet sanding with various grades then waxing and buffing.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The second picture looks like a patch job but it’s hard to tell. Oxidation appears as a chalky surface and the pictures appear to have a shine which would indicate fading rather than oxidation.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
See that with all the grey hull Beneteau sailboats in my marina.......remove fading and restore color with compound and buffer only then wax and polish. Lots of products on the market. My marina neighbor just had his done that way.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Our gray hull has developed some similar splotches. Some have very distinct edges as if they were a patch, but there’s no patch there (at least not one applied after the boat was at the dealer. We’ve waxed it each spring, and the most significant splotches became noticeable after about 5 seasons. This spring we used a cleaner wax which helped a little, but still not perfect.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
You can keep compounding every season, but the eventual fix is to paint over it. This defect is in the gelcoat. Once you paint it will be much easier to care for.