Collapsed core deck repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy m

Sep 13, 2007
Catalina 30 Long Beach, CA
removehtml]I have a 1982 Catalina 30 that has a collapsed core in the deck under the mast and the compression post has broken the liner with cracks visible from inside the cabin along the aft edge. The bilge block for the compression post is solid, the rigging is loose. I contacted 2 repairs companies: #1 - wants to cut the deck (24" x 24") and reglass from topside from the liner all the way up to the deck level with new gel coat and water way around the mast. #2 - wants to drill a 1" dia. hole and inject penetrating epoxy (Git-Rot, CPES or similar). The estimates from #1 is $4000, from #2 is $1000 (both include stepping the mast). Any thoughts, comments and/or experinces are appreciated. BTW -This is my 23 year old son's "dream" boat which gave us a nasty surprise, so thank you for helping an adveturous young man.Error: Error: expected [/URL], but found [/removehtml] instead[/removehtml]

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
Compression Post Block

Andy. From everything I ever read about the deck sag, it was always blamed on the deterioration of the compression post block in the bilge. It was unusual that you stated the block was alright! If I am right on this, the base of the mast sits in a metal formed support shoes that is set into the decking. I do not know what is under (thickness of wood/glass)this shoe before it touches the compression post. It would be nice to get some better detail on the damage. Take a look at a "Mast Column Fix" article for some good insight into the fix. . go up to "Resources - next . Sailing Web Sites - next . Page 2 - next . International 30 Association - next . Technical Library - next . Mast Column Fix article I had several soft spots on the deck of my Coronado 35 years ago and drilled holes as suggested and injected "git-rot" and/or apoxy. Both worked to fill the voids and solidfy the area. I would not hesitate to use it again in soft deck areas. Before I would decide on which repair to go with as you described, I would re-investigate that post block. If the mast were removed to make repairs, that is the time to repair or replace the block, which should be replaced with the newer metal piece. Catalina installed a metal replacement piece in the late 1988 Mark II model to take care of the problem. Many 30 owners I understand have sags in their decks and the vessels continue to perform just fine; however, the fact that the compression post has impacted the interior liner is of concern. Cutting out a piece two-feet square into the decking is no easy task, but removing the mast and compression post, replacing the block in the bilge (glassed in) with the new metal unit and injecting the soft area with git rot could be a better and less expensive alternative. I would consult a few more repair folks regarding a thorough inspection of the block. Keep us posted as this subject hits a nerve here with all 30 owners. Bob 1988 Mark II

andy m

Sep 13, 2007
Thanks

Bob, thank you for passing your experience and knowledge. There is a third company that will look at the damage, but the mast is coming off this Friday regardless. i will keep you posted and send photographs as the project progresses. Andy M.

andy m

Sep 13, 2007
Mast Weight

Bob, The C30 has a 40 ft. mast I want to bring it, on the boat back to the dock to save yard storage charges. Any transportation hints as where to lay it on deck are appreciated. I was thinking about saw horses lashed to the rails at the stern and the foredeck; how feasible is that?

B

Bob

Transporting

Andy, I never took my mast down nor transported my vessel. If your having a transporter take the boat to the yard ordinarily the mast can be placed in a cradle alongside the trailer built stictly to hold the mast in transport. If it is your intent to place the mast on the deck, I cannot provide much information here because they certainly are heavy and must be nested on deck. My only suggestion to you since you will have the mast down is to have the standing rigging checked, lubicate the sheeves, change out bulbs and inspect and replace the spreader boots if necessary. I do not know if your model has the wood spreaders, but changing out tot he metal units is not a bad idea. Good luck on the remaining inspection Bob

andy m

Sep 13, 2007
Thanks Again!!!

Thanks Bob. We'll certainly check EVERYTHING before we step the mast. Changing the spreaders to metal sound like a good idea. There is a set at www.CatalinaDirect.com for ~$600. Do you know of any other sources?

B

Bob

Catalinadirect

Andy. CatalinaDirect is a great source for OEM replacement equipment. You can check other sources as well (used) to save some money, but you never know really what your getting without inspecting first. Check the International Association site for used equipment and place an ad. Either way, I understand the older wood spreaders if not taken care of will rot or delaminate over time. Upon inspection, if yours look okay and your handy, perhaps it might not be a bad idea to remove, sand and reseal. Could save some $$$$ and not a major project. I do not know of any salvage or parts stores in California; however, Sailorman in Ft. Lauderdale is an impressive operation and worth contacting to see if they carry a pair of used metal spreaders for your size mast if you go in that direction. Sounds like you are experiencing several issues with this vessel. Fortunately, their is a vast array of knowledge, parts and experience with the 30 model through all the production years. For starters, if you already do not have a "Manual", you may wish to go back to the International Website and download the owners manual for much needed schematics, part replacement numbers and general data needs. If I had my vessel out of the water, I certainly would look closely at the thru-hull fittings, cutlass bearing (prop shaft), rudder play, etc. Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.