Cold weather (non) starting

Jan 28, 2017
Catalina 30 Mk II Yorktown, VA
My Universal 25XP has been starting and running like a champ all summer and fall...until now. The temps are in the 40's and 50's and the engine in my 89 Catalina 30 will not even cough. I suspect glow plug problems but I do get a drop on my voltmeter when I turn the ignition switch to glow plug. I can hear also the electric fuel pump slow down. I installed a solenoid on the glow plug circuit this year and can hear it clicking when activated. Have also tried bypassing the solenoid without result. I usually apply the glow plugs for about 12-15 seconds before starting. When I touch the area around the glow plugs I do not feel anything on the way of heat (don't know if I should). The engine is turning smoothly. Any suggestions?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I'd check/replace the glow plugs as a start. I know from experience that small Kubotas don't like to start if the plugs aren't good.

Jan 28, 2017
Thanks. As far as I know these glow plugs are the originals. Have you any tips about replacing them other than to use lots of penetrating oil before attempting removal?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Have you any tips about replacing them other than to use lots of penetrating oil before attempting removal?
When I rebuilt the 5411 ( Kubota Z-500) they came out pretty easy. Basically the same as a spark-plug in a car. Don't get them from Universal, they wanted $64 I paid $13 at Kubota and I hear you can get them for as little as $5.95 if you shop around.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Why not pull the glow plugs and test them..... easy enough. Then just a little extra time warming up to
Compensate for the colder weather.

Jan 28, 2017
Thanks for the input. I found NGK glow plugs for Kabuta at O'Reilly for $5.99. I plan to pull the existing plugs and test them. If they are OK I will either put them back in or keep for spares. Thanks for the suggestion. I have installed the glow plug solenoid and I've read that using this set-up you can toast the glow plugs in as little as 15 seconds. Maybe that's what caused my problem but I'll find out when I test them.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
You can also try using a hair dryer or a heat gun to blow hot air into your air intake manifold to add a little heat to the cylinders assuming you have AC available. They also make a heater for your engine oil for diesel pickup trucks that goes in your dipstick tube to keep the engine a little warmer in the winter. Might be able to use this on your motor too.

Jan 28, 2017
Great suggestions. I will get the engine oil dipstick warmer soon and I can use my heat gun to warm up the intake manifold. The latest developments are that I got a new set of plugs for little money through NGK. Before I installed them (which doesn't look easy on my M25xp since you can't get a ratchet on one of the plugs without removing the fuel injection pump I checked resistance and found that they were at 1 whereas the new ones are about 1.6. Not ideal but still should be heating the plugs. Next double checked the solenoid. Although the solenoid was clicking and the voltmeter showed a drop, no power was being delivered to the plugs. So my next task is to install a new solenoid and check again, which I plan to do in the next few days. I will let you know how it goes.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
In searching around on Amazon I also found you can get a magnetic oil pan heater, you just stick it on the underside of the oil pan and plug it in. Some are adhesive so they are permanently mounted. Might keep the motor toasty warm if they work.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
You need a propane torch for when you go for a sail and need to restart to get back in to dock

Jan 28, 2017
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to buy a oil heater - either the dipstick or pan-attached. Once I got the new solenoid on the engine returned to it's previous easy-start performance. Fingers crossed that it continues.