cold plate and insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chet p

i am getting ready to do a major renovation to the interior of my 1977 cat 30. i plan on pulling out the counter top to access the ice box. depending on what i find i may just rip it out completly and rebuild a new one with 4-6 on foam. i want the box to be as efficient as possible and am leaning towards a cold plate system and adding a small circulating fan. i live in florida and am also leaning towards a water cooled system but don't want the extra drain and plumbing of a water pump(just more to go wrong and use extra electric) how should i approach this overhaul(i only want to do it once) thanks chet P keladi

M

Michael cohn

Water Pump

Chet, I want to strongly encourage you to use a water pump on your system; it made a huge difference on mine in terms of energy consumption. You can use a small magnetic drive water pump that will use *very* little current, and plumb the discharge and intake lines into existing thru-hulls. It took me about 30 minutes to set up my pump using this method, and the results are well-worth the effort. Make sure to put an on-off switch on the pump and use it only when cruising or at anchor. MC

P

Phil Williams

Rebuild

Pulling the entire box out and starting all over is a BIG job. If you are up for the challenge then I would suggest you contact Kenyon Customer Care at 860-664-4906 and request a copy of the box book. It will give you a ton of helpful information on how to do the job right. I would not use an engine drive system as they are very limiting and expensive. A well insulated box with a ColdMachine or water-cooled SuperColdMachine will do a better job for less money than the engine driven system. You can rebuild your box and purchase the SuperColdMachine for less money than just putting in an engine driven system.

Status
Not open for further replies.