Cold machine works but...

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
I have a 2003 Hunter 356 with an adler barbour cold machine cooling the top loading freezer and spillover fridge. Seems to work fine to get freezer to 20-25 and fridge to 35-40 which suits my needs, but it runs for 40 minutes to an hour or more before cycling off and then goes back on in 15 minutes or so. Operating in LI Sound, otside temps in the 80s. Any thoughts on why the long run times or is this right for the conditions?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I think that is pretty typical of most marine refrigerators. Good insulation, good door seals will help reduce the run time a little.

To extend run times, there needs to be a massive cold plate. The plate is then cooled and then it acts like ice and gradually warms and removes heat in doing. I believe the AB regfrigerators have small cold plates that have limited capacity to absorb heat. As a result it needs to be cooled off sooner than a refrigerator with a larger cold plate.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Wow, there are so many factors here it's tough to tell. A-B has a newer, upgraded "smart" controller that will optimize run times. Then, how much thermal mass in the fridge have you? And how good is your insulation? And how often do you open it?

Get rid of air space with jugs of water, and once they are cool, your fridge will work much more efficiently. Better yet, freeze the jugs of water at home before you get to the boat! Or beer, that's better than water. But don't freeze it. :)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Back in the Chesapeake
I have pretty much the same set-up, but my Adler Barber runs for maybe 15 to 20 minutes when first starting in hot weather, but once everything is cooled down only runs for maybe 5 minutes once every couple hours. When I was down in the tropics, run time was about twice as long and cycle time was more like once an hour.

I'd guess insulation or seals or both. My frig has thick insulation, although I don't know what kind as its all enclosed and came with the boat so not a project that's cropped up yet. The door is probably about 6" thick - I've no idea of the sides. I redid the door seals last year.

dj

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
Did a "paper test" on the seals (too cheap to risk a dollar) and wow. Fridge took only a light tug and freezer practically slipped out. Guess I have another project.