cocktail question

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bill walton

I know this is marginally related to al the technical stuff we talk about here but I need the info. We've been sailing up and down the Fl Keys the past two weeks having a great time. At our last stop in Key West before heading home, we had a drink called Mojito. Supposedly, this was Hemingway's favorite while he was in Cuba and the Keys. Outstanding drink! I'm searching for a recipe.

R

Rick Webb

Mojito

Mojito The balmy, mambo-dancing, cocktail-sipping halcyon days of Cuba are long gone. You won't find today's Hemingways on Havana's terraces. But that sweet bygone era of mafia-supported elegance gives us the Mojito, a cooling effervescent libation. The Mojito was born in Cuba in this century's teen years. Soon popular with Havana's hipsters, the Mojito lifted fresh mint out of its bit part as just a cocktail garnish. A simple blend of sugar, mint leaves, lime juice, rum, ice, and soda water (strictly in that order), a Mojito is a tall glass sparkling with bubbles and greenery, garnished with a sprig of mint on top. It is such an elegant, cosmopolitan drink, that you might not guess that it requires a miniature baseball bat. The first step in Mojito creation is to "muddle" - or crush together - the mint leaves and sugar syrup to release mint oil into the mixture. For this you will need a muddler. The other key to successful Mojitos is letting one half of your squeezed lime bob in the mixture. The oils from the rind add a faint bitterness that, take our word for it, is the sine qua non of this drink. As you sit and chew on mint leaves after you've finished your drink, you'll notice one of the Mojito's greatest charms, and its only liability. While it is one of the rare cocktails that actually improves the odor of your breath, you could walk away from the experience with bits of flora lodged embarrassingly on your front teeth.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
If memory serves me

It's in Bohart's Landing, in the article about the race to Havana.

S

Stephen Ostrander

I've lost my Mojito!

Rick: what a descriptive piece that was, deserving of the Pulitzer prize for Best Forum Reply! For a few short moments, I was transported back to Old Havana. If things don't work out at your present job, you have potential as a Food and Drink reviewer!

B

Bob Miller

Thanks for the Mojito!

I found the receipe on the web by searching on "Mojito", ran to the store for ingredients, mixed, squashed, mashed, stired and enjoyed. It's definetly going to be my favorite drink on the boat this summer (along with Margaritas). It will be fun to tell the story behind it, too.

B

bill walton

autumn leaves

I'm glad someone else enjoyed this drink as much as I did. Someone down here told me they also call it 'Autumn Leaves' , named after one's actions following more than two :)

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Another recipe...

I invented this concoction for a resort in Fiji for their tropical drink menu: 1/2 Blue Curacao 1/2 Triple Sec 1 squeeze of lime. 1 White Rum 1 Gin (I personally use 2...) Shake briefly with cracked ice. Pour into tall glass with ice cubes. Slowly add Fresh Lemonade to fill glass. I named it "The Sailaway", tastes as good as it looks, and very refreshing.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
The crawlaway?

Geo: Your receipt sounds great. Just wanted to know if the measurements are shots or bottles. One of these by the shot and maybe I could sailaway, if its bottles crawling is the only way out. Steve Dion

Aug 11, 2006
Depends, whichever floats your boat?

That's the great thing about proportions... they can be jiggers or 55-gallon drums.

Dec 2, 1999
I know, but a SQUEEZE of lime?

I was just wondering if the lime was to convince someone that we like something other than liquor in our cooled beverages. Good one, think I'll try it.

Aug 11, 2006
Purpose of the lime

The lime is strictly to uphold the British nautical tradition of feeding your crew lime rations to prevent the rickets on long sea voyages. Also constitues the only solid food any sailor worth his (margarita) salt will eat while out at sea.

Dec 2, 1999
thanks Geo.

Thanks George, I thought there was a real reason behind adding pulp.

J

Jim Kolstoe

A simple alternative

Gentlemen, while your cocktails sound tasty, and I fully intend to try them, those of use in the smaller boats might find it difficult to stock all the necessary ingredients and equipment. I recently rediscovered a very refreshing drink that requires little more than a good grip or bottle opener - hard cider. Specifically (the only brand I've seen) Hornbys Amber Hard Cider. Jim Kolstoe, h23 Kara's Boo

B

bill walton

here's my solution

3 mint leaves, 2 teaspoons of sugar, juice of half a big lime. Place in bottom of tall glass. Smash thoroughly with the handle end of a wooded spoon or similar blunt instrument. Fill glass with ice. Add 1.5 to 2 oz light rum, top off with club soda, stir thoroughly. Excellent and refreshing, but stop at two if you have anything to do after.

Status
Not open for further replies.