Cockpit vhf replacement Mike?

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
I have a standard horizon cmp25w mike at the helm. The connector terminal plug is damaged. It may be 30 yrs old. So I searched for replacement. The only model. that comes up is a cm31w. So 2 questions; does a. cmp31 versus cmp25 matter? And will the precise same terminal pin configuration and communication voltages be correctly compatible. So essentially plug and play? Thanks for your help here. I have a 35 C & C wintered in Manitowoc, WI

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Unfortunately, the answer to your questions is no. You may get lucky and find a used mic on eBay, but I wouldn't count on it. The newer remote mics include more controls for the features on the VHF and are not backwards compatible.

A 30 yo VHF is lacking a couple of features that can be really valuable. New VHFs have DSC and the ability to send emergency notifications which will notify everyone with a DSC radio within range of your emergency, you won't need to call May Day. And if the radio is connected a GPS or has an internal GPS it will send the boat's GPS coordinates out with the emergency broadcast. The CG and everyone else who gets the broadcast will know exactly where you are. There are several on the market that also include AIS either as a receive only or a transponder. Finally, some models have a wireless remote, which is really convenient.

Jun 17, 2012
Thank you dlochner. So it sounds like I need a whole new radio set (helm Mike and nav station set). That means I need to run new wire for new female receptacle in cockpit. Or should I use a hand held wireless helm Mike?

Jan 11, 2014
I changed to a wireless mic, love it. You can be anywhere on the boat and use it. I have a B&G V60 with 2 wireless mics which can also be used as an intercom. The one drawback to wireless is battery life. I get about 8 hours on a charge which is fine for day sails, however we were planning multi-way offshore sails so we have 2 mics and rotate them. If you mount the charging cradle at the helm then you can get away with one mic.

Jun 17, 2012
So thanks and last question; the radio down below works perfectly. So am I correct. I could purchase any decent hand held wireless and that would work independently of my radio below? I only use the cockpit radio for docking or anchoring in a crowded bay or short dinghy excursions.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
The radio below has to be capable of connecting with the wireless unit. Mine connects via bluetooth. I doubt that a 30-yr old radio has that capability.

Jan 11, 2014
The wireless handheld I spoke of is a remote mic for the below deck VHF, it is dependent on the base unit to transmit. The mics are proprietary, i.e., they only work with specific brands and models.

There are handheld VHFs which are self contained radios and do not need a base unit. They have their uses, but are limited by power, 5 or 6 watts compared to 25 watts and broadcast distance due to the antenna height.

Jun 17, 2012
Ok so it sounds like I have to trash my dinosaur and get both components new. So then the real question now is will my current masthead antenna suffice. I have a not so good situation that would make it difficult to install a new antenna and or coax…

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
So then the real question now is will my current masthead antenna suffice.
It might or it might not. I didn't need to replace my masthead antenna when I replaced my radio and added AIS a few years ago.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
So thanks and last question; the radio down below works perfectly. So am I correct. I could purchase any decent hand held wireless and that would work independently of my radio below? I only use the cockpit radio for docking or anchoring in a crowded bay or short dinghy excursions.
Two points:
1. Microphone plug adapters are commonly available to allow using off-brand microphones. I can’t point you to the specific one as I don’t know what new mic you contemplate, and
2. the antenna likely is good -a visual inspection can indicate any deterioration. The coax, if it is old and depending on type/mfg, might be questionable.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
You can test your coax, connectors, and mast head antenna with a SWR meter. If you don't have one, most of us don't, find a friend who is a ham radio operator. For almost sure they will have one that you can use, and they can show you how to use it. They may even offer to come to your boat and test the installation for you.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Having been thru a mast-down re-rig recently and before that a replacement of the ancient VHF.....
If your existing coax is over 20 years old, just replace it. Same for the antenna on top. Time, moisture, and UV are the relentless enemy of all these parts. Technology moves forward, too.

We changed to the Simrad VHF and wireless remote years ago, and it shares AIS info with our Lowrance Plotter. The remote works well with good audio quality. When clipped onto the mount are our nav desk, it charges continuously. For a "back up" we have a hand held VHF, as well.

FWIW, I have crewed on a lot of deliveries with a wired-remote broken off or hanging by a couple of wires. Not a good system for a busy helm station, IMO.

Welcome to Modern Times! :cool:

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I use the B&G version, with a wireless remote at the helm.

Radio provides AIS info to My Chart plotter, and CP provides GPS coordinates to the radio (via N2K). And handheld remote at the helm communicates with the base unit and uses the masthead antenna… so better range than a hand-held portable VHF.

My older version is the V50, but I believe they have a newer version…V60.

Greg