Cockpit speakers/Hunter 340

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark Pittel

I'd like to install speakers in the cockpit. Thinking of putting them in the access ports at the bottom of the arch. Anybody whose done this, or similar, I'd appreciate advice. How hard is it to run the wires to the radio at the nav station?

M

Miles

340 Speakers...

Mine are installed on either side of the pedestal, below the table flaps. You probably could put them in the access holes though. From the nav station you can run behind the hanging locker where there is a conduit that runs all the way to the starboard side aft locker. If you're lucky there will be a messenger line ready for you to use, if not it's a PITA but you can get through with a fish tape. From the aft locker my wires run across to the port side locker on top of the fuel and holding tanks (access by removing the aft bulkhead in the master cabin) and then through a chanel that goes to the pedestal (remove cockpit floor). I'm not sure how you'd get the wires into the arch, might need to drill a hole from below, I don't recall seeing any easy access. Have fun crawling around!

D

Dakota Jim Russell

Yep - in the Arch

Yes - mine are installed in the arch. Used Poly . . . speakers. Think they were 5 inch, though I would have to check. They have been in the weather now for 5 years and still work fine. The wires ran back on the starboard side via the wire tube - there was a "pilot" string left in the tube - to the starboard lazarette. Access to the arch was made through the lazarette. The wiring for the port speaker was done by running the wire up and over the inside of the arch. Keep in mind that my 1997 model does not have the traveler line running inside the arch. That may be a factor in your thinking. Please feel free to email me if you have additional questions about the installation, size and type of speakers used, etc. The worse part of the installation was pulling the wires from the cabin to the lazarette . . . Jim

G

Greg G.

Under the Stern rail seats

I put mine (on a 320) under the stern rail seats and ran the wire through the seat tubes. I have quick disconnects on them so I can remove them when away from the boat. This has worked very well and the sound is excellent (Poly Planar waterproof MA500 I think?)

F

Frank Arndorfer

Speaker and O/H light pod available from Hunter

I bought the complete speaker/light pod directly from Hunter...it's the same unit they use on the 38' and larger boats. It somes completely wires with two Seaworthy speakers, same ones used in the cabin. Most difficult part is accessing the access hole that's located in the AFT arch tube on the starboard side. You can lay in the lazarette and access it from underneath the arch mounting plate. You'll also have to drill a 1/2" hole for the wire run from the pod. Remember the arch is stainless so you'll need a hardened bit. The run from the electrical panel is easily done through the existing wire chase on the starboard side. My boat is a 2001 model with the stainless tube arch. I didn't want to go the route of installing in the helm station 'cus the tabletops would cover them and if mounted too low I was concerned about water. All in all I'm happy with the factory arch. It fits the 340 nicely, don't know why they don't offer it as an option on the 340.

T

Tom

Frank, How much for the speaker unit from hunter?

Frank, How much did speaker unit cost?

G

georgelakesiii

Good deal-but does anyone?

I had to replace the speakers in the stainless steel arch because the surround disintegrated. I found that the harmon kardon factory outlet in Oxnard, CA has some Infinity speakers that worked perfectly. Poly propelene ones that were under $50 for the pair. They will ship and you don't have to pay sales tax if out of state. I would like to know if there is a better replacement volume control. Mine has seized up. Idally I would like to get one that is sealed from the elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.