Cockpit Size

May 21, 2008
Alden Challenger Portland
As I inherited a ready made cockpit when I bought Black Star I am not sure of most of the original dimensions,could somebody give me the width of the bridgedeck from the rear of the coachroof to the front of the cockpit and the width of the after cockpit seat on which the mizzen is mounted.Then I need internal lenght and breadth of the cockpit.The only drawings I have seen of this area have no dimensions and are very small and unclear.
Many Thanks
Philip Dann

Apr 7, 2006
Phillip-

I have drawings/scantlings of various parts/areas but Cindy and I are headed to Providence for the week to work on one of our tugs in the shipyard. We'd be glad to bring along what we have for you to look at. We have deck and joiner plans that show the cockpit and its all to scale. If you would like call me at 207-841-4268. I'll bring all I have to Providence (RI).

Jon/Cindy Smith (tenders to MUSKRAT).

May 21, 2008
I have received the drawings Jon they are very helpful and much appreciated maybe if I get on the water next year we will meet somewhere and compare notes,I go back to the UK a week on Sunday.Thanks again

May 21, 2008
Hi Jon,Just returned to Portland ct from the UK and better weather is allowing me to start getting things fitted in the cockpit area,but I have a few problems,the parts that have already been made.ie,cockpit bridge deck and cockpit after deck are all different sizes to the drawing scale.The bridge deck should be 19 inches wide by scaling off the drawings,its actually 24 inches and to reduce it I will have to remove the glassed in support posts and re-glass them in again, the cockpit is 5 ft long and this seems too long but the drawing does not show it,the after deck is 18 inches wide and scales off at 16 inches,I will have to open up the actual hole that the cockpit fits into to get the length of the sail bin lids,I have 1 and a half of the originals.What I would like to get is a drawing of the framework that suported the cockpit and sail bins and rebuild as original,or a look at a boat refitted as original would help but in order to do this I would have to hire a car for a couple of days,I bought a vehicle in the summer but because I enter the USA on a visa waiver I am not allowed to register it,I almost feel like an alien coming in the USA,I never realised how much common sense we use in Europe.Any thoughts or solution come to mind.

Apr 7, 2006
Philip I'll go take some measurements on Muskrat tomorrow andtake the drawings along too. I'll try and take carefull dimensions on how the cockpit is secured as well.

Jon

Apr 7, 2006
Fwd bridge deck: about 19.5"
Aft " " : " 17"- at the out board end- narrower towards the centerline ( now that I'm ashore maybe it was wider????- I'll check!)
Cockpit OAL: 92"
Sail lockers: 56.5"
Depth of cockpit ( where the legs go): 13.5" (each corner is supported by a 1" by 3" wood leg) about half way back on each side is a 2" by 3" leg also supporting the inside edge of the cockpit.
There is a bulkhead (aft cabin) which is 7" forward of aft edge of fwd bridge deck.

At the fore and aft end of each sail locker there is a 1" by 3" to support them with a plywood gusset for strength.

My cell is 207-841-4268. I'm working on the tugs where there is limited cell coverage but I'll call you back if you have any questions. Hopefully this makes some sense. Looks like Muskrat is fairly close to the original plans when you take into account decades of sanding, etc.

Keep it up!!