Cockpit lids and windows

Oct 6, 2008
Looking to make new cockpit lids does anyone have original sizes or templates for this and what to make them from? AlsoThe rubber seals on my windows are leaking badly now, can you still buy a replacement seal kit/set? I also believe you can get aluminium ones done, what kind of price are they and where from.regardsHamish

Nov 4, 2016
Harmish,The gaskets you seek to replace the windows are VW gaskets from the 1970s. They still exist and you put them in the same way you do the car. There are a few tools you would need. I did mine a few years ago. Viewing You Tube videos will help. You want the gaskets with the locking strip. Let me know if you need more information about how to do it. The aluminum replacement windows were far too expensive for me to consider. Hal

Oct 15, 2015
By cockpit lids I assume you mean lazarette covers? If so, I made mine out of 3/4 inch marine grade plywood covered in epoxy. The cockpit sole was also made the same way. It works well, but if I had to do it again I would have made them out of fiberglass due to water eventually penetrating the epoxy coating. You can use cardboard to mock-up fitting patterns if you do not have original covers.

Nov 4, 2016
When you order the gaskets, if you order the ones that have to use a locking strip, then it will come with that locking strip along with the gasket. Make sure you order enough footage to cover mistakes!!!! I did and was thankful for it.... Hal

Nov 4, 2016
Tim, Harmish,Concerning the lazarettes and the aft hatch I used that composite material that they use for outdoor decking (get it at home depot). It's in long strips that you cut up. It comes in various colors with wood grain. I used brown. It is heavy material but it works FABULOUSLY well. I had to marry a few pieces together to get the right width and put backing underneath but it is working great and will NEVER need varnish or anything else. I should have done it two upgrades ago (this is the third replacement of the covers over a 20 year period). I don't regret using the material and it's easy to work with. You will have to "rout" a channel on the underside to fit on the lips of the openings BUT that's easy. I highly recommend this as an alternative to wood. It won't look as "cool" as a bit of varnish BUT in the long run you will love it. Hal

Oct 6, 2008
Thankyou for all the replies, I will go for the rubber from seals direct as it is the best option for price, the locker lids I will look into some more. Did think about aluminium with a trek deck type covering glued on, just an idea.

Apr 12, 2016
That’s a great idea, Hal. I don’t have the tools to do the routing, but when mine wear out I will look into it!

May 30, 2006
I reading these alternatives and thinking... whats wrong with the teak?
Mine are still teak and have lasted a very long time. And ... they are teak.
Like the other trim.

Jul 2, 2005
I used King Starboard HDPE for Lazarette covers, and industrial velcro instead of hinges and latch. Seems secure and functional.

Jul 31, 2012
I used Starboard also, having gone through two marine plywood versions.  Original cockpit hatch covers were lost in a hurricane.  The Starboard stuff works okay, will last a lifetime, but what I got wasn’t thick enough to hold the hinge screws without them showing a bit more than I’d wish.  Also a bit slippery when wet.  A non skid covering would be good but so far, 5 years later, such improvements are still on the to do list.  I’d rather sail the damned creature than fool around with sticky stuff or gritty paint.  Same goes for my window gaskets.  They don’t leak, yet, in a 1972-3 boat, except a bit of black sort of powder from oxidation I expect, the dark smear comes off of the gaskets in spray or rain, streaking the gel coat, but is easily washed off.   The gasket material recommended in this string is something interesting I might be pursuing...  but having rebuilt almost everything else, I’m in no rush to finish.  I just love, as Ratty said, messing about in boats, but to be honest, I love mostly messing about in my boat, Penelope. from my pad nn