Cockpit dimensions

May 10, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 31 Beaver Lake, Roger, AR.
I am slowly beginning to look at acquiring a different boat and given the times that we are in, I was hoping to start by comparing "numbers". To start with I am looking for dimensioned drawings of the cockpit(s) and interiors of several Beneteau models, 35.1, 34, and 37. Does anyone have any idea how to go about this. I contacted Beneteau and have not had any luck. they sent me PDF brochures. I have not heard back when I requested more information. One might think I'm asking for top secret classified information. I know that numbers will never tell the full story, BUT I can make a great case that what I am looking for is a great start. Why is this so difficult, all of the manufactures have the drawings and based on the fact they sell boats built off the drawings the basic numbers should not be trade secrets.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Have you considered just scaling off the PDFs they did send you? If they have the specs, including beam and length, all the rest is simple scaling.

• Helpful
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I am slowly beginning to look at acquiring a different boat and given the times that we are in, I was hoping to start by comparing "numbers". To start with I am looking for dimensioned drawings of the cockpit(s) and interiors of several Beneteau models, 35.1, 34, and 37. Does anyone have any idea how to go about this. I contacted Beneteau and have not had any luck. they sent me PDF brochures. I have not heard back when I requested more information. One might think I'm asking for top secret classified information. I know that numbers will never tell the full story, BUT I can make a great case that what I am looking for is a great start. Why is this so difficult, all of the manufactures have the drawings and based on the fact they sell boats built off the drawings the basic numbers should not be trade secrets.
I suspect that getting those numbers would require someone at Beneteau or another manufacturer to have someone find he original drawings and then measure them. That's a lot of time and money for an unusual question for the purchaser of a used boat. If you were buying a new Beneteau or other make, the builder would respond differently, especially if the request came from a dealer.

Often in the promotional literature there will be a reference to cockpit size and saloon seating size, albeit some what vague, like "cockpit seats are over 6 ft." If you are looking for sufficient distance in the cockpit or saloon to meet social distancing guidelines you'll be unlikely to find them in a 30-40 foot boat. Good safe cockpit design calls for smaller cockpits rather than larger cockpits. A smaller cockpit reduces volume in the case of getting pooped and filling the cockpit with water and closer seats provide a place for shorter people to brace themselves when the boat is heeled.

Take a tape measure when you look at boats.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
I have a '93 45F5 and I would say the cockpit is rather small for a boat that size. The newer boats are beamier and have wider cockpits. My boat is great for racing/cruising or when heeled but not so great for entertaining. I would go and look at a few.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I don’t have any diagrams with measurements, but if you have any questions on the 37 let me know. We looked quickly at the 34 before getting the 37. The cockpit was a little smaller, but not badly sized. On the 34 the cockpit table folds out of the way to make more space when not in use, whereas on the 37 there’s enough room to have it permanently mounted (with fold down leaves). I’ve seen the 35.1 at boat shows and it feels like the interior space isn’t used as efficiently, but that’s likely just personal preference.