Cockpit Comfort

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sean Kulczycki

I am considering the purchase of Bottomsiders cockpit cushions for my Hunter '27. These are a closed cell foan cushion with a smooth finish. I would like to know if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with this or a similar product. Thanks.

T

Trevor

BS are the best

... in my opinion. I had them on my last boat and loved them. I've got a set of Bottomsiders on order for my current boat right now - I'm really looking forward to receiving them. They are comfortable, look nice, are easy to clean, and don't absorb H2O. Trevor

K

Ken Palmer

Mine are on order

I have read nothing but good news on Bottom Siders. I have ordered a set for my H33 and am looking forward to using them this season. Ken Palmer, S/V Liberty

D

D. Ebert

3rd Set

Had B.S. on my H240,H260 and now on the H290. Need I say more. They do get hot from the sun on bare legs.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Even the mice like them.

Sean: The B.S. are so good even the mice like them. We were attacked by some mice soon after we got our B.S. They chewed a piece of foam out the corner. We called B.S. and they sent us a touch-up bottle of the vinyl paint. Just a couple of things. 1. They do get very warm in the summer sun. We have made a set of terry cloth covers for ours. 2. When the weather is foul, we leave them in the cockpit. They provide comfort and do not absorb water.

T

Tim

Don't they have that vinyl chair/bare leg problem?

They look nice, but aren't they sticky against bare skin?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Depends on the weather

If it's hot you might want to cover them with something; if you're in 365-hot weather, like the tropics, the Ameriseam cushions on this site might be a good choice. They have a mesh fabric covering over the closed-cell foam. Also, lighter colored BottomSiders are less senstivie to heat than the dark colors.

G

gary jensen

not a bottom sider fan

I bought my 380 without cushions last year. I had the regular cushions on my 36 for 7 years and was happy with them. I did a couple of sailing days on bottom siders and felt they were not padded enough. I was still going to purchase them though because of their properties eg closed cell consetruction, floatability etc....I didn't because the main reason (comfort) just did not measure up!! Looking back, I made the right decision!!!!no question!!!

D

Don

Do they slide?

For those that have them, do they slide off the seat when heeled?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Do they slide??

Don: Not if you're sitting on them. Actually we are going to address this with some of the stuff that you would use to line the inside of your cupboards. It is also used under throw rugs at home. It is a rubberized mesh material. We plan on cutting pieces to go under the cushions.

P

Paul Akers

All Good Experience

You can glue snap tabs (provided) to hold them in place (I do). Or someone suggested non-skid rubber shelving to hold them in place also. We love 'em.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

Very nice

Mine are great. Yeah, you might stick a little but not like a vinyl chair. They're not perfectly smooth - a teeny bit bumpy so that helps break that vacuum lock of sweaty flesh to vinyl! They are a snap to clean and take quite a pounding. They float well too, just in case one jumps overboard. Unfortunately you have to be *aware* of the AWOL cushion to be able to perform an MOB on it - thus I'm lacking one small cushion. :-( You won't be disappointed! LaDonna

G

Greg G.

Do they provide stern rail seat cushions?

I was thinking of getting a set of BS cushions, but it said it was only a 5 cushion set. I assumed this to be starboard, port, 2 afts and the helm cushion on the walk-through transom? Is this correct?

R

Rodney Kidd

C-Cushions

I purchased a set of C-Cushions last summer. I had previously owned a set of BottomSiders and didn't like them because of their rough surface finish - I couldn't get the damn things clean. C-Cushions have a gloss finish and wipe clean easily. The still float and are closed cell foam. Maybe BottomSiders are now offering a gloss surface? Rodney Kidd C-38 #297 Flying Bear

G

Gene Roberts

C-Cushions

I went with C-Cushions on my 35.5 and have been completely satisfied with. Bottom-siders are very, I have several friends who have them and feel the same way as I do about my C-Cushions. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Gloss surface = cheesy?

I'm not writing that becuase we carry the BottomSiders, I just don't like the C Cushions asthetically. I must admit I never thought about any cleaning advantage,though. p.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Greg G.

I believe that's right. Pilot seat cushions are available but not included in the set.

A

Alan Liebnick

I'm going with Bottomsiders

I posted a similar question early November. I have research this to death. I must have gone to umpteen websites and forums here, there, and everywhere. I finally decided to go with Bottomsiders mid January, right after their January 1st price increase( so much for waiting). I'm expecting delivery around March 1st. My deciding factor was ease of cleaning. I have a 2,6,and 8 yr old aboard.

B

bill walton

I like mine

I made a set of cushions from closed cell foam obtained from a local upholstery shop. I then sewed a set of covers made from sunbrella that matches the other canvas items aboard. They're very comfortable even when wet and I can wash the covers in the washer. Find an upholstery shop to make you a set.

R

Rodney Kidd

Gloss

Phil, All boats have lots of glossy surfaces. IMHO, the gloss of the C-Cushions really sets off the cockpit and looks good next to the glossy varnished cockpit table, etc. Just for comparison, check out the websites: www.ccushions.com and www.bottomsiders.com. Like is said before, I had a set of BottomSiders and couldn't keep them clean. Granted, they were a brilliant white. Of course, my wife thinks I'm a little AR when it comes to boat cleaning. To each his own. Rodney Kidd, C-38 #297, Flying Bear C-38

Status
Not open for further replies.