Coastal vs Ocean with 25 ft Macgregor Sailboat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrale

May 24, 2010
Macgregor unknown 25 ft Home Residence
Macgregor Sailboat Owners,

Is the 25 ft Macgregor sailboat designed only for coastal travel or can it be sailed at greater distances at sea? i.e: Pacific to the Atlantic?
Respectfully,
Jeff

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Depending on which way you go it is either a crossing or one long coastal cruise. Someone once pointed out that a cruise is nothing more than one day sail after another.

Doug L

Sep 9, 2006
South Coast 22 MI
I would not consider the Mac 25 suitable for open ocean travel. The compromises necessary for a trailerable boat would eliminate most trailerables from ocean travel.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
It's amazing how small a 25 foot boat can seem after about 24 hours of continuous sailing. The furthest I have ever done in one leg is approx 120 miles from Newport to Ensenada. I met a guy once who sailed a 26 foot Buccaneer (Seriously) all the way from L.A. to Tahiti. Almost died on more than one occasion. The best cruising I have done is harbor hopping down the Cal coast. Fair Winds and Full Sails...

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
If you are talking crossing the Pacific or Atlantic oceans the answer is no.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Absolutelly agree with Time Bandit. Used to sell Venture/Mac in California. First question I would get from some "newbies" as the wife and kids sat in the cabin was, "Can we sail this to Hawaii?" NO AND HELL NO!! This is a condition experienced by new owners who have never sailed known as Island Fever. Figure how long it would take to sail 3000 miles at about 6 kt. top speed. I figure about a month if you're lucky and don't run out of food and water, suffer equipemnt failure, run into the real pirates of the Caribean or miss the mark altogether. The only island you should think about is 26 miles across the sea to Santa Catalina or something like it in you neighborhood. If you want to go Pacific to Atlantic take the interstate. Macs are solid boats and lots of fun. Get a lot of experience and use a lot more common sense. Fair Winds and Full Sails...

Status
Not open for further replies.