coastal sailing ?

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

I recently bought myself a 1971 Morgan 35' sailboat.. there is a possibility I will be transferred with my job from Indiana to Florida in the next few months... and I could be moving to Tampa area... I am seeking advice or help in getting my sailboat down to Tampa when the time is right... I have not sailed the east coast... all my blue water sailing has been down around Florida near the keys... I am wondering how long it will take to sail from Newport news, Virginia to Tampa, Florida ?.. where are the best stops to make for supplies, fuel, and not expensive overnight stays ?..

when I get ready to make the trip, I might also be needing a crew to go with me on my adventure ... my son wants to go, but not sure what his college schedule will be then when I go.. as the time approaches and my plans finalize, I will post more..

sincerely
Jess

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Inside-Outside, Around or Through?

Seems to me the first thing is to decide how much of the trip will be planned in the ICW (Intra-Coastal Waterway) versus sailing outside along the sea coast, and whether or not you plan to use the Okeechobee waterway to cut across Florida's midsection, or go all the way around via the Florida Keys. This is a long trip; over 1,200 n.mi. sailing around FL; many variables. The inside route is even longer around; however, the cut through Okeechobee will save perhaps 200 to 250 n.mi.

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

it is a long way to sail, but I will be needing to move my boat Tampa when I transfer there.. I am in the planning stages right now.. this will be my 1st long voyage in my new boat, any help with information on making my plans will be greatly appreciated.. I am looking for a basic timeline for sailing, good waypoints, good places to stop for supplies and fuel.. when I do this I will be on a limited budget, so I need to conserve at much money as possibly on the trip, and find inexpensive places to stop...

again, thank you for any help

sincerely
Jess

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Well, my first suggestion is to make as many short, shakedown trips as possible before you leave on the long one. No amount of advice you get here will be a substitute for know your own boat. You might google or Youtube search for info on the subject. "sailing the east coast, sailing the intracoastal, sailing from Virginia to the west coast of Fla," etc.

May 31, 2004
Gulfstar 37 Aft Cockpit New Orleans
I agree with Joe on this one...as that great sailing philosopher Captain Ron said "if its going to happen, it'll happen out there"...actually using the boat, even for short sails, gives you valuable experience in the type, and all of them handle differently in wind/current, and you get to find out what works or doesn't work, or needs changing. It might be a little thing, but when you are far from home port, nothing is a little thing. That roller furling that hangs up ever so often isn't a big thing on a day sail, but in a blow in unfamiliar waters the last thing you need is to take your eye off the channel to fix a sail...oops...hard bottom.
Practice helps.

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

Sunday the 13th I will be in Portsmouth, Virginia... I am going down to spend several days on my 71 Morgan 35' sailboat, I recently bought... I have supplies I will take with me... I plan to take my boat out sailing for 2 or 3 days, before I have to return back to work... I will spend several wonderful days on my boat... Anyone in the Portsmouth area who is not busy, and might be sailing Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday, I hope to see you out there... welcome all on the water...

the other day my wife named our boat... she named it 'Kai Xin Yuan'... it translates into 'happy home'... it will be our home on the water...

sincerely
Jess

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
Can't help with trip before West Coast. If you are going to the keys Marathon has everything for $22 per night. Marco Winn Dixie has own dock. Naples city dock has diesel , water and pump out mooring ball $10. Ft Myers Bch has 25 cent shuttle bus, $15 mooring balls. Skip Venice. Sarasota has every thing. Mooring balls $20 I think possible to anchor for free, pay to beach dingy

Admiral's blog
http://dinghytogrocerystorewestfl.blogspot.com/?m=1

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

thanks for all the advice for Keys area... I need more information about the trip and waypoints on the way down the coast... where are the best waypoints for supplies ?... how many NMiles can you do in a day sailing down the coast ?... I have not done a long trip like this before, and I am trying to get a good idea of how long it will take to do the trip, and what is available enroute ?... I know I will have a crew of 2 or 3 for sure.... maybe as many as 5, depending on who shows up to go...

I just spent 5 days on my boat in Virginia... I had a wonderful time there... went sailing a couple of times... just on the Chesapeake, not out to the ocean yet... I am back home now, time to work again... and I have a long list of projects for my new boat to complete... some I can work on here, some are woodworking projects... I have diagrams I drew for all my wood projects for the boat to make...

Sincerely
Jess

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

I start my vacation at the end of august... 3 weeks I will be spending it on my boat... sailing down the coast to Florida... my wife shall be arriving in the USA about the end of July or 1st part of August... we will be married again then our honeymoon will be on our boat sailing down the coast... the 1st week will just be the 2 of us... after that we might have the kids and my mom along for the rest of the journey... not sure yet how it will all go yet... I have a couple of days work on the boat before we set sail... I am so looking forward to this new adventure with my wife and boat....

anyone done this trip down the coast to Florida before.... I can use information on waypoints, supply points, anchorages, refuel depots, and more.....

sincerely
Jess

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If you start planning your route now using charts and guide books, you might be ready in 3 weeks. I think you may have over romanticized how this trip will unfold. It's a long way to Tampa Bay from Newport News, and the trip you propose would present challenges to even a seasoned sailing couple in a well-tried boat. You don't detail your ocean sailing experience, but if it's not fairly extensive I would reconsider your plans on how to do this. If a sailing honeymoon is your goal ship the boat to Fort Myers, FL and then gunk-hole up the coast from there to Tampa Bay. Lots of good stuff to see and do; can easily take up a week to 10 days in fun mode. However, you will have to "like" HOT/HUMID weather, and will have to be wary of pop-up thunderstorms, which you will undoubtedly encounter in Florida in August & September. These are not fun for sailors, and offer only potential for misadventure, in my opinion. If you are caught out in one the rain is so intense that you cannot see more than two feet in front of your face. The cold wind down-bursts can exceed 50 kt; and then there is lightening to boot, etc. If not properly prepared you can easily be driven onto a shoal or into something hard, etc., before you can hardly realize it.

If inside the barrier islands people will often try to anchor if being caught is inescapable (b/c they cannot see to steer in the rain), but anchoring has to be completely finished by the time the thing hits. There also has to be room to swing which is not always available in the ICW. Otherwise, they may try to make fast to a dock if one is within reach, etc. The best thing to do is to avoid them [the storms], of course. However, staying put when they are about can cut deeply into your travel time budget.

Also, I hope the boat has a Bimini cover that shades the cockpit well. In addition to hot and humid, the direct summertime sun there is BRUTAL w/o shade. There are also bugs; the ladies really love 'em! The average depth of Florida Bay (which you have to cross coming up from the keys) is only 7 feet deep for very long stretches. Is your Morgan 35 a center board or shoal draft?

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2012
hello all

Stu - thanks for the active captain... I can really use it... it will help me a lot in planning my trip south...

I have some experience on the ocean, but not a lot.... I am moving to Florida later in the year, and I am using my honeymoon to move my boat south and spend time with my wife... we are not in a hurry, and will take our time... my vacation is actually in September...

again thanks for all the help

sincerely
Jess