COASTAL CRUISING

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CJ MARKLEY

I AM CONCERNED ABOUT THE 26X SEA WORTHINESS. MOST OF THE ARTICLES THAT I HAVE READ REFER TO INLAND LAKE AND BAY SAILING. I AM LOOKING FOR A TRAILERABLE BOAT TO SAIL IN THE SEA OF CORTEZ,THE GULF OF MEXICO, AND THE FLORIDA KEYS. WOULD THE 26X BE APPROPRIATE OR SHOULD I BE LOOKING FOR A HEAVIER FIXED KEEL BOAT?

L

Linda

Me too

I just bought a 2001 26X yesterday with the hopes of being able to go to Florida and the gulf. The salesman here told us that there are a couple of Mac owners that are trying to organize a trip from West Palm to the Bahamas. I am assuming that if current owners are crossing the gulf stream, surely we can daysail in the gulf. At least I hope so..... Any help would be appreciated. Linda

M

Mike

Yep

I too have a 99 Mac. Soke to a guy in Canada and he trailered his Mac to Florida, then sailed, actually, motored to the Bahamas. He said, I double up on all my major systems. He even brought another outboard and fixed it to his transom. A 3hp outboard. He said he went in the summer months and i would be fine. There are article in the archives of guys sailing extensively along the coast. His article is there too. I spoke to an experience sailor, who has a 35-40 foot sailboat he lives on. He looked at my Mac and thought it would not have a problem going to the Bahamas. He had seen less Seaworthy boats make the pass. Also, there are people who sail to the Dry Tortugas -----60 or so miles west of Key West. They r in the archives too. Me, so far just in Charlotte Harbor, but thats because of time contraints and my honey-do list is too long. hehehehehehe. I plan to sail the Gulf all the time. Just moved here 5 m/a. Well good luck. Enjoy, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.