Coasta Rica - Where to charter lessons and days aboard

Nov 19, 2015
Hunter 28.5 Wickford Cove, Rhode Island
Looking for any experiences from folks who may have sailed in Coast Rica. My wife and I plan to visit Feb/March 23'. We may like to take lessons focused on cruising for a few days. We now sail out of Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island, US. 1986 Hunter 28.5. Thx

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
if you aren’t used to sailing in shallow reef country, I’d suggest you limit your choice to a catamaran. Sailing there isn’t like New England.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I’d suggest you limit your choice to a catamaran. Sailing there isn’t like New England.
:plus:
I cruised in Belize, a bit north on the Caribbean side. The water depth outside the narrow channels averaged 6 to 15 ft. in the approved sailing area. This are stretched out from the coast to the edge of the barrier reef, some 20 miles in places.

Nov 19, 2015
Not Costa Rica. Seems you are refering to your sail in Belize to the North. But thank you for your input.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Should we assume that you are talking about the Pacific Coast? It seems the Caribbean coast doesn't have much to offer.

Apr 9, 2017
Catalina 34 Puntarenas
Hi, I´m based in Costa Rica, and sail out of the port of Puntarenas. Feb and Mar are great months to sail, no rain and great wind, albeit sometimes agressive. The well known Papagallos can get upwards of 30 knots, especially in the north Pacific coast. Depending on what you want to do and the amount of time, I would suggest staying in and around the Golfo de Nicoya, and maybe as far north as El Coco. Another alternative is to go to the middle Pacific, around Quepos. The other option, again depending on your plans, is to stay in Golfo Dulce in the south. The Caribbean is not really an option for sailing in Costa Rica.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
My daughter is getting remarried and decided to have a destination wedding. The Admiral and I get to come along to babysit the grandkids and maybe give away the bride. Anyway, we are going to Matapalo beach for a week in late June and early July next year. So this was a timely topic for me. Otherwise, I'm not sure I would go. :huh:

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Can you share why that is so?
Looking on Google Maps, there don't appear to be any destinations or even any sheltered anchorages. It looks pretty much like a barren coastline without any interesting features to explore with a sailing vessel.

Nov 19, 2015
Thank you for your input. We will look up the locations you mentioned. We are booked to vist for 2 weeks at the end of this February. Hope to find a charter service for 2 or 3 days while there.