Coast Guard License

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Jones

I am a member of the USPS (AP) and am interested in the US Coast Guard license. I have seen several study packets advertised in boating catalogs and am uncertain about which to get. I would appreciate the recommendations of any HOW.

K

Ken DeLacy

CG license type

I'm currently taking two course at a local CG auxiluary in FL, I expect to recieve certificates, but I don't know about a liscense. Ken

B

Bob Gravenstine

Try this site.

Seaschool.com This site has all the information regarding USCG Licenses. It requires time on the water along with written tests regarding your knowledge of the rules of the road, plotting and navigation, safety, firefighting, first aid, and general deck info. I assume you are a sailor so make sure you get the sailing endorsement. It will be the easy test for anyone that has done any kind of sailing. I have been an instructor for this organization so I am not totally unbiased. Check out all the others and then make the choice that best suits your needs. Most people need the classroom type study but some have passed the test using only the home study kits. It's not easy but worth the effort. GO FOR IT. You will not be sorry.

L

Lee Urbani

Go for it

Do yourself a favor and call the USCG REC (regional exam center) in Baltimore at 410-962-5132 and ask them to send you the "Mariner's License Handbook" for OUPV and Limited Tonnage Master licenses. This will tell you all you need to know about the process. If you still want to proceed then look for a good school.

W

Wayne Fredrick

Go Back to School

Bill, I obtained my CG 50 Ton license with sail and towing endorsement last year. Getting the old "6PAC" doesn't make sense any more since to get the upgraded license is not much more effort. I bought a packaged course with video and was told you will struggle unless you go to a school. I think it is very true, without the school I would have never passed. The test is very intense and on the rules of the road section you must get 90% to pass the test. I went to an excellent school in Chicago, Saturday-Tuesday and then they give the test right at the school. If you are interested in more information, e-mail me at wrfsail45@aol.com. I am sure there probably other schools in your area, but if you are serious, that is the way to go.

C

Chris McLoughlin

CG License

I attended a Sea School course last year and passed the test for my O.U.P.V (six pac). I highly reccomend the Sea School course. The materiel is drilled into you, and you are given lots of mock exams. With the exception of the navigation module the tests were mostly memorization (deck general, and rules of the road) The other 2 modules were navigation, and plotting. The hardest part of the process was getting all your documentation in order. Drug Testing, cert in First Aid and CPR exam by a doctor , hearing, color blindness etc. Chris

P

Pat Spino

USCG License

I used a home study course from an outfit in Florida (name...?) It required many hours of study for about a year before I felt secure enough to take the test. The test was very difficult but well worth the time and effort. Forget the Six Pac license, with a bit more effort you could get the Master/Mate's 50 ton license. It will require more knowledge on deck safety, fire fighting, etc. Also get the sail endorsement.

C

Capt Bob Russo AMS

USCG License

Any USCG approved school will ensure you getting a license. For most sailboat owners getting a sixpak makes more sense than getting a Master's. You';re still likely going to be sailing an Uninspected Vessel so you can't carry more than 6 any. If you have questions contact me directly at tugco@aol.com Capt Bob Russo AMS Bluewater Maritime School

Status
Not open for further replies.