Coast Guard Doc. Number Placement (Interior)

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stephen H290 -

Any advice on how or where to place the manditory OFFICIAL NUMBER OF THE US COAST GUARD that must be at least 3" in height and clearly visible on an interior structural part of the hull? Regards, Steve

P

Pete

number placement

most number are placed on the hull interior in a conspicious place, some ideas: engine compartment area (by thur hull water intack or prop shaft)or inside a locker or the bilge itself.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Catalina Owners

By the VHF

I would try to find a spot near the VHF in case you need to use it in an emergency. LaDonna

A

Andy Howard

CG Document #'s

I'm going to reluctantly disagree with Ladonna. I think she's usally right on most things but I wouldn't display my CG numbers at the VHF. If your making a mayday or pan call you need to name, describe, and give location, of the vessel and the problem. An inexperienced crew member or guest could waste valuable time sending out a number that would have little or no use to potential responders. My document number is attached in a cockpit locker like pete describes. I do keep my documentation in a ziplock bag in a compartment near my VHF.

R

Rodney

Try both

Steve: I have a nice wooden plaque that is routed out in teak, and mounted on a bulkhead in the main salon. This is clearly visible from the nav table and VHS. It looks nice but does not meet the USCG requirements. I also have the DIN painted on the hull in the bilge. Rodney S/V Avanti - H336

M

Miles

Bilge

I asked about this a little while ago and got some good advice from the people here. You can get self adhesive number stickers from Home Depot and some epoxy. Clean up a spot in the bilge and stick the stickers on, then paint over with a coat or two of clear epoxy. Worked great for me... Get a long curing epoxy or it will get tacky while you're painting. Looks very professional and it's cheap too.

G

Garry @ S/V TASHTEGO

Documentation number

From the USCG Documentation web page FAQs at: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/nvdc.htm The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded of the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area. Note the "clearly visible" part. In the bilges, in the engine compartment or in a locker don't qualify.

R

Rodney

So Garry,

with one of our mid-sized or larger vessels just what area of the interior structural part of the hull is not behind or under a hatch or door of some type? My boat is fully finished inside. The most easily accessed area of the hull is in the bilge. And, by picking up one floor board, it is easily visible. Indeed, there is very little flexibility when we need to place the three inch letters so as to have them so that they can quickly and easily be read. This is not a trivial linear distance required to place these 3 inch letters on the hull. I really am interested in your response here as I suppose it is possible that I could encounter an "official" that interprets these rules in the same fashion as do you. Is there other knowledge out there of which I am not aware? What are the USCG inspectors really looking for here? Do those of us who have this requirement (supposedly) met by placing these marks in lockers and bilges violating the rules? This could prove to be much more than trivial.

J

John K Kudera

The Latest Info.

As a vessel examiner for the new vessel safety check program of USPS and Coast Guard, I read this from the manual, it states " A documented vessel must have the name and hailing port plainly marked on the exterior part of the hull in clearly legible letters not less than 4 inches in height. In addition, the documented vessel must have the official Number permanently affixed in block type, arabic numerals not less than 3 inches on some clearly visible structural part of the boat." I made a block of wood and used a router to make the block numbers and affixed it to the hull in an accessable area under the setee. Permanately attached does not mean a bulkhead or other removeable or replaceable part of the boat, if done in that manner a thief needs only do a replacement part, and has your boat for the price of a little bit of teak! The idea of documentation is for theft protection.

M

Miles

Inspection

FWIW, I had to affix my doc. number after I was cited for not having it during a recent Coast Guard boarding. After affixing it in the bilge as I described in an earlier post the vessel had to be reinspected and it passed just fine. I think alot is up to the boarding officer...

R

Rick

Hull or Liner?

All the interior structural parts of my hull are behind locker doors or in the bilge. The actual interior of my boat is all hull liner. So how is an inspector going to interpret the rule? If its "interior" its not on the hull but on the liner, and if its on the hull then its not "clearly visible" without opening a door, cover or hatch.

G

Greg

companionway stairs

I engraved my doc. numbers in a piece of teak (which seems to be the method of choice) and attached it under my companionway stairs where its out of the way but still visable. I used screws and construction adhesive so that it could not be removed without "altering the surrounding hull" also the bulkhead that its attached to is not something easily replaced. Good luck with the Coast Guard Ispections.

B

Bob Rutland

H31 Doc. # placement

My interior Doc# are 3" vinyl self-stick numbers. I stuck them on the hull liner in the aft birth, then brushed on a clear epoxy. They are very visable and legal since they can not be removed without damaging the boat. Good Luck, Bob S/V Lady Di II

L

Les Murray

Mine are on the hull inside a hanging locker

I just got my boat and was already documented. The numbers were affixed inside a hanging locker on the hull. Open the door and there they are. The previous owner used the vinyl numbers with epoxy over. Les Murray s/v Ceilidh 86 C-36 #560

G

Garry @ S/V TASHTEGO

Good Answers

I haven't documented TASHTEGO yet but when I do I'll place the number either carved into the teak support post for my deck stepped mast or on the bulkhead under the companionway steps. There have been a lot of good answers but the best was that a lot depends on the examining officer.

D

Debra B

Documentation Number in cockpit locker

My boat was documented when I bought it with the No. in one of the cockpit lockers. The surveyor (a delivery captain as well as surveyor) thought this was a perfect place for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.