CNG Filling Station

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Filling a CNG tank around here has been crying for a solution. Our boat came equipped with CNG for cooking and all was well up until about eight years ago when an outfit in Seattle who operated a CNG tank exchange program for the PNW region closed down. Converting our boat to propane would cost us about $5K. So, a search began for a solution. Our home has a natural gas furnace, but a home version natural gas compressor was pretty pricey and no idea whether the cost will come down, if at all.

John Shepard sent a message regarding a source that he learned about from a fellow boater who also has CNG. Fire King in Seattle (206/337-9997) will certify a tank for five years at a cost of $60.50 each. The two I have need it done. Commercial Sales in Fife, WA (just south of Seattle, 253/922-6670) will fill each tank for $33.50. Both tanks need to go through the process and an update will come soon once they have filled both tanks including any hiccups along the way.

Commercial Sales will fill tanks to 2,250 pounds. They are open M-F, are located at 6411 Pacific Hwy. E., Fife, WA and will fill tanks in about fifteen minutes. Fire King is open 7:00 A.M. to 3:30 P.M. M-F, are located at 240 S. Holden, Seattle WA., and will take about a week to certify a tank.

Woohoo!

• Helpful

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
We're having the same problem, maybe worse on the NE coast. Be aware your CNG tanks may also be out of date to re-ceritify. I had one fail which means it's history. With the certification, of one, plus the yard charge to drive a bunch of tanks to Mass. and back, my one CNG tank cost $360 to fill!

That's it for me and CNG.

• Wow
Feb 11, 2017
Buy one of the refill adaptors on ebay and refill yourself. The adaptor is about $200, but the cost to refill a tank yourself is under $2.00 usd. There are lots of self service refill stations - you simply put your credit card in like you would do for filling your car with gasoline.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Most CNG Self Service Stations prohibit the use of unauthorized adapters and non DOT certified tanks. Besides the possibility of getting hurt in an accident there is the possibility of being indicted should damages to property and/or others ensue. Look into the Non-Pressurized Alcohol Stoves for a relatively safe and cost effective method of cooking. You can get denatured alcohol by the gallon at almost any hardware store. Like CNG alcohol fumes dissipate in the air and their burners are not prone to flare ups.