Clutch or Clam cleat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2004
Hunter 386 New Smyrna Beach, Fl.
Catalina-Morgan 440
I am thinking of installing a clutch or clam cleat on the port deck to secure the jib furling line, when trying to reef the head sail, when on a starboard tack. Suggestions? What kind of load should I figure on for the head sail furling line?

Appreciate any advice or suggestions?:confused:

Thanks!

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
If you might have to release it fast in a blow get a cam cleat.

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 400 MkII Noank, CT
Andy,
I installed a rope clutch on my boat for just that purpose, after the furling line nearly pulled me overboard a few times. It also helps if you put a block aft of the clutch, so you can pull into the cockpit, and still have a fair lead for the clutch. I've attached a picture. Hope it makes it.

Attachments

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina 350 Seattle
In response to Jim - the last thing you want is your jib unfurling in a blow! By all means get a positive-securing device - whether a clutch or a cleat - don't use a "clam". The line can easily be popped out of the clam and you'll have $$$$$of headsail flailing in the wind.

Good Luck!

Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle

May 8, 2004
Andy,
I installed a rope clutch on my boat for just that purpose, after the furling line nearly pulled me overboard a few times. It also helps if you put a block aft of the clutch, so you can pull into the cockpit, and still have a fair lead for the clutch. I've attached a picture. Hope it makes it.

Thanks for the PIC, Tom. Thats exactly what I am going to do. After I posted the question, I found out that Garhauer makes that same clutch, mounted on a car, that fits the 1.25 Gen. track on my 440.
Heres the link: http://www.mauriprosailing.com/Garhauer-Rope-Clutches/GAH1111OC.html

Apr 1, 2004
Catalina 34 Herring Bay Chesapeake, MD
Andy,

Garhauer makes great products. I would suggest you check their site for that clutch, it is CHEAPER, plus they are running a 10% off everything on their site.
garhauermarine.com.

No affiliation, I just liike quality products, at a great prices from a stand-up company.

Steve

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
Oh on the jib furling line! The original cleat works best! I wouldn't use a clutch or a cam-cleat. Clutch is no good because you has to pull the rope at an angle.

Jun 3, 2004
Jim,
Please re-read my post above. I suggested using a block, mounted aft of the rope clutch, specifically to keep the direction of your pull into the cockpit, and the angle of the furling line with the rope clutch. Sorry the picture didn't show the block, mounted on a pushpit stanchion.

May 8, 2004
Jim,
Please re-read my post above. I suggested using a block, mounted aft of the rope clutch, specifically to keep the direction of your pull into the cockpit, and the angle of the furling line with the rope clutch. Sorry the picture didn't show the block, mounted on a pushpit stanchion.
Thanks for the note, Tom. As you can see from my previous post, I found a clutch, just like the one you are using, that actually mounts on a 1.25" jib sheet track, on my 440. Just put it on the track, no installation required. Already have the standard block aft, that is used to direct furling line to the winch, which should be adequate.

Ciao

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
Tom, Toe rail? Did you get a 400? Yes a block would work but I would have to try it. When you have pulled the furler line in there is no load on the jib. Why do you need a clutch? Faster cleating?

Jun 3, 2004
Jim,
Yes, the admiral and I sold our beloved Julandra and bought a 400 back in 2009. The boat came with just the block on the pushpit support post. It has "only" a 135, but it's still a lot of sail area. In everything but the lightest winds it fights back when I try to furl the genny. The rope clutch gives me the ability to pull in a few feet, relax, grip the line again, and pull in a few more feet. It no longer feels like I'm trying to pull in a great white every time I furl the jib.

May 8, 2004
Tom, Toe rail? Did you get a 400? Yes a block would work but I would have to try it. When you have pulled the furler line in there is no load on the jib. Why do you need a clutch? Faster cleating?
Suggest you read the original question and you will see why the clutch is a good solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.