Cloudy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
It was a dull, flat day, pregnant with unfulfilled rain although I was glad of only a few sprinkling showers and calm water. I’ve become so familiar with this part of the world and the routes that I didn’t feel the need today to look around much except as navigation required.

Two dolphins did come to play. I think very young ones because they just jumped in the wake and seemed mystified why they couldn’t zoom along without stirring a fin as I’m sure they’ve seen their elders do. Otherewise, Strider droned along, my mind droned along. The day passed.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
About $40.00 worth of diesel fuel, brought me to Georgetown at the end of a 45 nm day. I started the computer while running up the river and looked at the weather which promises a stiff wind blowing right down the long straight reach up into the Cypress swamps. While filling the tank with my planned anchorage only a couple hundred feet away, my tired mind realized that I had a choice. I could run up the river in flat calm water with a flood tide boosting the SOG to over 7 knots or I could fight my way up in wind against tide chop tomorrow, ducking spray, squinting into the wind, and looking at GPS numbers under 5. It was an easy decision, even at the end of an already long day.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
I ran up the river another 12 miles in the darkening afternoon and was rewarded with the beauty of this anchorage which the late, flat light of this dying day only seemed to enhance.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
I’m now at mile 389, 27% of the way to Norfolk. Tomorrow is all narrow river and land cuts where the wind will not be an issue. There is a good chance I will be writing from North Carolina tomorrow night.

timtim

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Southport, NC
roger, nice pics. be safe and have fun on your way to Norfolk. my S2 is on the hard at Washington NC. your writing makes me work harder on getting her back in the water.
please continue this thread and post more pics. what is your route thru NC?
Tim

Sep 17, 2012
Pacific Seacraft 34 Oriental
I don't see a dodger to keep the wind off you. How do you manage to keep warm? I would be freezing this time of year, especially in the mornings when the air temperature is in the 30s.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Hey man, it looks like we crossed paths down there somewhere. I took this Cheoy Lee down on the outside, started out Saturday morning, and put it in Charleston Sunday. I whipped this boat hard, at an average 5 knots. Sunday was a surely gloomy day down there, (as apposed to today back here in Southport it is very nice). I got back this morning after a ride back landside, because the boat, or should I say owner has some issues with the imigration people over his cruising permits. I didn't get my hell-bag set on the dock before they came out there to investigate the foreign registry boat with the Union Jack flying on the stern. Nice enough guys, but I decided my work was done, and I may return to it later to kick it down to Lauderdale or the Bimini's.
I asked around the marina for a sighting of you, but no joy on that, sorry I missed you there.

I started picking up radio traffic about Myrtle Beach from a boat named "Seadaddler" with an engine out, and was trying to get his friend on the "Malachai" to assist. This traffic persisted all night, and Sunday in the Charleston approaches, every Coast Guard, rescue, fire department, etc, boat in the Cooper/Ashley river was out-bound at a high rate of speed, and heard the C.G. helo trying to raise the both of them. Very curious, and semi-disconcerting.
Hope you're well, and maybe cross paths later, cp..

And by the way, it WAS cold Saturday night on the way down...

Attachments

Nov 22, 2008
The magenta line is known to cross several sand bars...
Oh, come on. You don't think someone of my experience follows it like that do you? I would have reported a lot of grounding by now.

I mean just as quick shorthand to describe the route.

Nov 22, 2008
I started picking up radio traffic about Myrtle Beach from a boat named "Seadaddler" with an engine out, and was trying to get his friend on the "Malachai" to assist.
I heard some of the same traffic. Most of what I heard was his brother calling from a boat in Georgetown to inquire. The Coast Guard had clearly written it off as "Case closed" after "Malachai" offered a tow. The brother kept prodding them and they woke up to the fact that both boats were missing.

Last thing I heard was the chopper trying unsuccessfully to raise them.

Very grim. If you (or anyone) hears the outcome, i would very much like to know.

I should be arriving in Southport tomorrow.

Jul 7, 2009
Beneteau First 405 Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Hi Roger
See you are back in my sailing grounds. Looks like you are spending the night in the Little River inlet just off bird Island. Hope you make it up to Calabash and have a delicious seafood dinner. Just looked outside and I see a gorgeous sunset. Hope you enjoy it. Ordered special for you. Hope all is going well and dont hesitate to PM me if you need a vehicle, parts or have other needs.
Good sailing

Jose

Attachments

Jun 5, 2012
Custom Mimi Rose Brooklin
I'm from Maine.
Ha! We've said the same often with our slow meandering south. My only regret has been it getting too cold to swim off the boat regularly which I did for quite a time anyway. Looking forward to more swimming on the way north.

May 7, 2004
Hunter 38 Little River, SC
Chris Patterson, is this "Seadaddler", a Hunter 36,

Hey man, it looks like we crossed paths down there somewhere. I took this Cheoy Lee down on the outside, started out Saturday morning, and put it in Charleston Sunday. I whipped this boat hard, at an average 5 knots. Sunday was a surely gloomy day down there, (as apposed to today back here in Southport it is very nice). I got back this morning after a ride back landside, because the boat, or should I say owner has some issues with the imigration people over his cruising permits. I didn't get my hell-bag set on the dock before they came out there to investigate the foreign registry boat with the Union Jack flying on the stern. Nice enough guys, but I decided my work was done, and I may return to it later to kick it down to Lauderdale or the Bimini's.
I asked around the marina for a sighting of you, but no joy on that, sorry I missed you there.

I started picking up radio traffic about Myrtle Beach from a boat named "Seadaddler" with an engine out, and was trying to get his friend on the "Malachai" to assist. This traffic persisted all night, and Sunday in the Charleston approaches, every Coast Guard, rescue, fire department, etc, boat in the Cooper/Ashley river was out-bound at a high rate of speed, and heard the C.G. helo trying to raise the both of them. Very curious, and semi-disconcerting.

Hope you're well, and maybe cross paths later, cp..

And by the way, it WAS cold Saturday night on the way down...
Is this "Seadaddler" a Hunter 36 who was originally home ported on Long Island and retired to the lower Florida Gulf Coast?

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
I'm still very curious to know the outcome of that situation. Our feelings went from a shaking of the head, with remarks such as, "Man, that poor bloke is having a tough night", to just sort of a silence between us, knowing this outcome wasn't going well at ALL. It was a cold night offshore Saturday night, and with a boat powering down, and systems probably failing soon after....

I sure would like to know, just to settle my "heart".

Status
Not open for further replies.