Cliff Island, Maine

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Another anchorage is about to be lost. Cliff Island had a nice anchorage on the North end of the island. Came in yesterday and found a dozen new moorings blocking most of the anchorage. These moorings are owned by selfish boaters who only occasionally stop here. They might claim that you can use their mooring when they are not there. I do not want to tie up to a stranger’s mooring and go walk the dog. Who knows what they might do to my boat if they happened by. Horrible, selfish people.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Another anchorage is about to be lost. Cliff Island had a nice anchorage on the North end of the island. Came in yesterday and found a dozen new moorings blocking most of the anchorage. These moorings are owned by selfish boaters who only occasionally stop here. They might claim that you can use their mooring when they are not there. I do not want to tie up to a stranger’s mooring and go walk the dog. Who knows what they might do to my boat if they happened by. Horrible, selfish people.
Cliff Island is part of the City of Portland, As such the PHMO (Portland Harbor Master's Office ) regulates ALL moorings in their domain. You may want to reach out to them and express your concerns.. Quite possible that the moorings were dropped without permission. Jewel Is., right next door has a much better anchorage, albeit crowding can be an issue... To the east, Potts Harbor and Mackerel Cove offer good holding ground.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Some of these moorings may be storm moorings for islanders. it is a common practice on our off shore islands..I’m on your side about place holder moorings however. The Goslings are the worst example of this but Quahog and others are getting bad too. Best you can do is write to the local harbor master or town waterfront committee. Don’t expect much to happen though, folks have been fighting Harpswell for years over the moorings at the Goslings..