Clicking Shaft

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
On our last sail we noted a "clicking noise" directly under the cockpit while under sail. When I opened the engine access compartment I noticed the shaft spinning rather quickly (we were sailing along at about 5 knots) and it was definitely the source of the "clicking". Yanmar specifies that when under sail the gear shift should be in neutral. We are reaching the end of the fourth season and we have about 450 hours on the engine.

I'm wondering whether there is something I should be getting checked regarding the transmission ... wondering whether anyone else has experienced this?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
On our last sail we noted a "clicking noise" directly under the cockpit while under sail. When I opened the engine access compartment I noticed the shaft spinning rather quickly (we were sailing along at about 5 knots) and it was definitely the source of the "clicking". Yanmar specifies that when under sail the gear shift should be in neutral. We are reaching the end of the fourth season and we have about 450 hours on the engine.

I'm wondering whether there is something I should be getting checked regarding the transmission ... wondering whether anyone else has experienced this?
What kind of prop do you have, fixed, feathering, or folding?

Always follow the transmission maker's recommendation. Some transmissions can spin, some want to be fixed.

I have a Yanmar with a feathering prop (Max Prop). I've found if the boat is sailing, the engine running, and it is in neutral the prop will continue to spin when I shut it down. However, if I turn off the engine while it is in gear, the prop will stop spinning and then I put it in neutral.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
He is following manufacturers recommendations but is asking specifically about a clicking noise when the drive shaft spins. I have nothing.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
I do not like the idea of leaving the trans in neutral and allowing the shaft to spin. A spinning shaft means wear for the cutlass bearing, and the bearing in the trans. It can also foul lines that might go overboard while sailing. I cannot imagine what harm might come by putting the shift into reverse when sailing, but before I went against Yanmar's recommendation I would ask a good Yanmar mechanic. Perhaps someone here knows the reason for Yanmar's suggestion. I have a QM Yanmar with a maxi prop that needs to be in reverse in order for it to feather and have been doing that for 15 years, now.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I picked up a length of poly rope once with lead weights and small pieces of plywood "floats", part of someone's fishing gear, that manifested itself by tapping on the bottom of the boat in time with prop rotation. Any chance you picked something up on your running gear ?
I believe that when left in gear while sailing the clutches would lock up and could be damaged when people forced them into neutral instead of just starting in gear then shifting.
At 5 knots it is spinning pretty fast but only produces a low pitched hum.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I believe that when left in gear while sailing the clutches would lock up and could be damaged when people forced them into neutral instead of just starting in gear then shifting.
Yes, that's the reason our dealer gave us for leaving our Yanmar in neutral. Shifting into reverse would stop the prop spin, but it may lock up such that you couldn't shift back to neutral without forcing it. Hurth transmissions, on the other hand, can be left in neutral or reverse, but absolutely not forward, as that would wear out the clutch plates.

At 5 knots it is spinning pretty fast but only produces a low pitched hum.
Same here. I wonder if you could isolate the sound to either the transmission or something closer to the Cutlass bearing or prop?

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
Step 1 - Open Aft Engine Access and confirm sound coming from spinning prop
Step 2 - Return to dock after great day sailing
Step 3 - Post here to figure out next steps and try to isolate whether this was urgent/dangerous (or perhaps something that can wait for the off season to be checked)
Step 4 - Next weekend, take all feedback here and figure out a next step - likely going out to mooring, throwing on a mask, and diving on the shaft to make sure I don't have anything wound around it. I have several other options, including making an appointment with a marina for emergency repairs if necessary.

This dummy wasn't even sure whether the shaft should be spinning quickly or not.

Thanks folks ... as usual all the thoughts and collective experience is fantastic.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,

You definitely should dive down and see the shaft, prop, strut, zincs, etc. If there is nothing wrapped around the shaft, then I would check the cutless bearing. I don't know if you can do that underwater or not.

I suppose the clicking sound could be used as an audible speedometer!

Good luck,
Barry

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Also, while at the dock with the engine off, try turning the shaft by hand. See if you can reproduce the sound turning it slowly. Also see if you can feel any extra friction as the prop spins past a certain point, or if it consistent as smooth through the rotation.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I believe the Hurth transmissions do not have clutch plates like the Velvet Drive transmissions. They are gear driven, not hydraulic, so there should be no difference between forward and reverse. However, I'd always go with the manufacturer's recommendations. You could put a shaft brake on which would stop the spinning. A lot of sailors use them with 2 bladed props and line the prop up vertically behind the keel for less drag.

Jul 8, 2012
Catalina 28 North East
The manual for the Catalina Universal M3-20 with Hurth transmission recommends sailing in neutral OR if you prefer to lock the prop in reverse when sailing. Yanmar may be different but the transmission is the same or similar.
I've found when in neutral it clicks, so the clicking is my reminder to put it in reverse. Not a problem, I just don't want to listen to it clicking.
Leaving the transmission in forward gear while sailing can/will cause issues and is specifically not recommended in the manual.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I had a fixed prop on the boat when I bought it, never understood why the transmission was designed in a way that wouldn’t tolerate being stopped in gear.I hated the sound of the thing rotating in neutral. A great irrational reason to get a folding prop...but picked up almost a knot in boat speed. I can’t imagine what might cause a clicking sound unless it was something internal to the transmission.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
You would typically put a feathering prop into neutral, too, after stopping the engine while in forward gear.