Cleat at goosenext

Mar 12, 2021
Hunter 26 Gulfport
I have replaced these lines but I continue to have an issue with these 2 jam cleats not holding. They are the reefing line and the outhaul. The 2 on each side fall down no matter what I do. The center one holds.
Perhaps the ridges are so worn they don’t hold? Is there a spring? If so, how would I replace it? There isn’t a screw to remove them.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
The ridges do look worn. But, if they don't stay in place it seems to me to be a problem with the springs. I believe you should be able to drive out the pin that they pivot on and take them apart. Bet you find broken springs. Who is the mast manufacturer? That's where you need to go for parts.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
They’re really only good at holding a line that’s under load. If the line is not under tension it won’t hold itself closed that well. Especially for the reefing line - don’t expect the jammer to hold the line at a certain point unless you actually have a reef in and are using the line to hold tension on the leech.

Mar 12, 2021
Hunter 26 Gulfport
The ridges do look worn. But, if they don't stay in place it seems to me to be a problem with the springs. I believe you should be able to drive out the pin that they pivot on and take them apart. Bet you find broken springs. Who is the mast manufacturer? That's where you need to go for parts.
I sent an email to Z-spar to see if they can advise how to fix it. In the mean time I am cleating off the reef and outhaul on the mast.

Mar 12, 2021
Hunter 26 Gulfport
They’re really only good at holding a line that’s under load. If the line is not under tension it won’t hold itself closed that well. Especially for the reefing line - don’t expect the jammer to hold the line at a certain point unless you actually have a reef in and are using the line to hold tension on the leech.
I thought this was the case but when out sailing the other day, I put the lines under as much load as possible and it did not hold. I ended up having to cleat it off.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Related to your situation. I don't recall there being springs. So you may go to all the trouble of replacing these and still not like what you have. On my H26 I added a second set of deck organizers to port and then added a set of three rope clutches (also to port). Then I put turning blocks at the base of the mast and just ran all of those lines back to the cockpit. It made reefing a breeze.
New Deck Organizer.JPG

Mar 12, 2021
Hunter 26 Gulfport
Great idea! Then you don’t have to go up to the mast to reef, tighten the outhaul and topping lift. Damn. I just bought new lines and did not buy enough to do this.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Great idea! Then you don’t have to go up to the mast to reef, tighten the outhaul and topping lift. Damn. I just bought new lines and did not buy enough to do this.
Yup
The out haul and topping lift become an active part of sail trim

Mar 12, 2021
Hunter 26 Gulfport
Yup
The out haul and topping lift become an active part of sail trim
Listening to an audiobook by Christian Williams, a wonderful storyteller and skilled sailor. He mentioned that extending lines back to the cockpit for single handing on older boats is convenient but it does put additional stress on the gooseneck. Make sure you do a regular check to see if there are any cracks. Great advice!

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
If considering running your control lines back to the cockpit you may want to have a turning block plate under your mast. Suggest that the next time your mast is down, install the plate. Then you can complete the project anytime in the future or not. BTW control lines can probably be lengthened with a splice.