cleaning white grime from fixed portlights

Nov 30, 2007
Hunter 36 Forked River, NJ
I think this should be simple fix, but the correct solution has eluded me. Searching tips to clean the fixed Catalina-brand--defining above-deck portlights has proved fruitless so far. I have accumulated white-ish stuff on the outside surface of the portlights. Not knowing exactly what they are made of, I have not been very aggressive in trying to get it off, but it is the next cosmetic project I'd like to tackle. I don't want to cause a chemical reaction that cracks or scratches or clouds the lens, or eats through the caulk. Assuming I'm not alone in this, please let me know what solutions work?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
What have you tried so far? Is the residue oxidation from your deck? Can you fix the source of it first?

Nov 30, 2007
I do not think it is oxidation from the deck, though it is possible. I wax the deck every season, and only occasionally have I noticed chalkiness when it it's been a little too long. I also use a non slip deck cleaner with PTEF. Aside from that, the only known substances they are exposed to are sunshine, rain, saltwater, and fresh water rinses. To try to clean so far, I've used very gentle cloth and brush, plus water pressure from a normal tap hose.

Nov 30, 2007
ok, the silence in here suggests I should adjust my request. It will be a few more days before I will be able to take a picture. Instead of focusing on the term "grime" - let's say it is an accumulation of <something> and that there is a slight haze on the fixed portlights. What products have you used that were safe and effective to clean and polish the surface?

Nov 30, 2007
Ok, to review - the surface of my fixed portlights had a gray/white dirty appearance, which was the result of oxidation and some dirt accumulation. I had tried cleaning with soap and water by gently rubbing with a cloth to not scratch, and had used a very soft brush to attempt the same without very impressive results. So, I asked you all for your ideas, and nobody came forth. Yesterday, I tried a little Meguiars Marine wax because the package states that it is effective for providing a wax finish, and also for cleaning a surface of mild oxidation. The results make the portlights look brand new. A few minutes effort was all it took.