Cleaning old fiberglass

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jack Laird

As our older Cherubini boats H27 1979 age the fiberglass pits a little and dirt fills the pits. I have tried everything I can think of to clean the glass but have had limited sucess. HELP, what strange concoction are you guys using to cleanup. Hate not to have a good looking boat both at a distance and up close. Probably bugs me more than anyone else. Not ready to paint thats sort of final. Any good ideas?

E

Ed Schenck

Sand and ......

Hi Jack, My H37C is a '79 and the f/g looks pretty good. But like you I want that new look. I find that light sanding with 600 grit and then some good wax makes a lot of difference. The gelcoat is thick enough to take a lot of sanding. I'll do the topsides with PoliGlo this season but plan to paint her in a year or two. I've tried the paint on a cockpit locker cover and it looks good.

G

Greg Stebbins

Believe it or not - FHC

I've been using Fiberglass Hull Cleaner on the topsides of my 23 for about 6 months now. Big wash twice a year and spot cleaning as required. A fellow resident put me on to it when he found me cleaning a cussing the bird gifts one sat. morning. Really amazing stuff removes all organic based stains. Take up everything (sheets, cushions etc.) before you start.

J

Jack Laird

Clean with no rubbing

Use Clorox undeluted. Wear gloves and have the hose running. Cleans out the pits and almost 100% of anything else whats left a little sandpaper works great. Just started this weekend and the cockpit has never looked so good and I've had the boat 17 years. Thanks for your comments.

J

John Allison

Got My '79 Looking Great

Its taken 4 seasons but wow what a shine I got this year ..... actually last year was pretty good but this year "Whisper" just sparkles. I begin with 3M Cleaner & Wax (using buffer) and follow up with Starbrite Premium Marine Polish with Teflon. Its work but eventually it pays off.

Status
Not open for further replies.