Cleaning Heat Exchanger

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Smith

The Universal Model 18 diesel on my Cat 30 has been experiencing a gradually-increasing operating temperature. I want to clean out the heat exchanger but don't know what to use. Is muriatic acid recommended, and how long should I apply it?

G

Gordon Torresen

A muriatic acid etch is a good way to clean a heat exchanger. It may be best to remove the unit to clean it to avoid getting the acid where you don't want it. If you have been seeing rising temperatures, it could be in the electrical end of things. There are two connectors in the cable between the engine and the dash board that tend to oxidize. Sometimes the starter doesnt crank and sometimes the temperature gauge starts creeping up whilst the engine doesn't get hotter. You could also be losing efficiency in your sea water pump. If the impeller or the end plates of the pump are showing wear, you might be due for a little maintenance.

S

Steve W

had the same problem last year on my M-18...

cleaned the heat exchanger, replaced the impeller, replaced the intake hose and heat exchanger hoses, new thermostat, new belt...all with no change. Then the raw water pump seals started to drip a little and I bought a new raw water pump for about $125.00, installed it in about 15 minutes and the problem was solved. I think the original 14 year old pump was just worn out of tolerance after 1,000 hours, because now the temp won't move above 165 degrees in warm Florida waters no matter how hard I run it or how hot the weather is. I rebuilt the old pump and keep it as a spare. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.