Cleaning Anchor

Apr 24, 2020
Hunter Cheribini 37 South Portland
I have a HC 37. I installed a windlass for hoisting the anchor. Many times it comes up muddy. Big surprise. I'm trying to dream up a way of hosing off the chain and rode. I'll bet this has been already answered. Can someone make a suggestion as to a nice easy way to do this?

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I had a pump installed in one of the lockers under the v-berth. It was tee-ed off the seacock supplying water to flush the head and the pump outlet ran to an ordinary brass tap installed in the anchor locker. I used one of those self-coiling water hoses (available at garden and RV centers) with a nozzle on the end. Worked well and was also used when scrubbing down the decks.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
I have been meaning to install something to wash down my anchor, maybe a pump with hose attached to toss over the side. My sea water intakes are all too far aft to make teeing a practical solution. In the mean time, my canvas bucket continues to work well enough that this project just keeps slipping lower and lower on the priority list.
Canvas bucket on Amazon

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I have been meaning to install something to wash down my anchor, maybe a pump with hose attached to toss over the side. My sea water intakes are all too far aft to make teeing a practical solution. In the mean time, my canvas bucket continues to work well enough that this project just keeps slipping lower and lower on the priority list.
Canvas bucket on Amazon
This is what we have, a Whale wash down pump with a weighted hose dropped over the side. Works well, however water pressure is a little weak because the pump has to lift water up before pushing it out. Beats a muddy anchor locker and muddy decks.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Up to now we, as in mostly my wife, used a bucket and sea water. A bit of a struggle at times and it was also slow and not very effective. One of my winter projects this year was to install an anchor washdown system. Fortunately I had been gifted an unused West Marine washdown pump so I teed off the head uptake and installed an Aquor Hydrant at midships found here:
Aquor Deckwash Hydrant

I connect a 50’ flexible garden hose to the hydrant when needed and Bob’s your uncle. The 70 psi water pressure throws the water well over 30’ which is greater than what our marina supplies. The hose collapses to about 15’ and fits into its supplied bag. Here is the link for the hose I use (I paid $30 Canadian in November) but there are many others available:
Flexible Hose

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Stainless steel anchor and chain, so mud doesn’t stick too good. With slow retrieval most of the mud washes off. If some gets stuck on the anchor palms I keep it just under the surface while getting underway until the mud’s washed off.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Yeah. The boat had SS chain and anchor when I acquired it. The previous owner of four years (purchased new) had included several options of the so-called “Exclusive” package which included SS deck cleats, SS anchor & chain, lead keel, ST 600O autopilot, radar, spinnaker ensemble, and a few other niceties. I doubt that I ever would have bought SS chain and anchor but over long-term ownership (20 yr now for me this month) it’s proven a value “investment.” It’s clean, it’s pretty, and the chain never kinks. I guess a new buyer sees it as just a few bucks more a month over a 20 yr loan; why not splurge? Whereas, as an upgrade later it’s a big outlay hard to “justify.”:doh:

Last edited: